Water in the impeller

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I have a Bermuda Duoforce 3500 pond pump.

The pump has been working fine for 2 months or so but now its tripping the RCD in the house, all I can think of there is water getting in the electrics of the pump.

I have tried it on a separate RCD and still took that RCD.

I took the pump apart to give it a very good clean, I took the impeller out it was covered in water and much, this impeller works by a magnetic field.

I'm sure there shouldn't be water in this section of the pump or am I wrong!!, the pump is still under warranty.

Hope you can help.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
The way mag drive pumps are designed allows for water around the impeller shaft. Here are 2 diagrams- the first is a conceptual diagram. All of the grey area is water.
mag drive diagram.jpg

The second is an actual cross section view. All of the area to the left of the blue containment field permits water intrusion.
mag drive diagram 2.jpg

If your pump is tripping the circuit breaker then most likely there is a manufacturing flaw in one of the inner seals causing overheating. You state the pump is still under warrant. Send it back!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you for the reply, the pump is going back to the supplier, I've just cleaned out the impeller and it just took the RCD out straight away.

Faulty for sure.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Is your breaker big enough to handle that sized pump .If it is overloaded the breaker will overheat and shut down .I have seen this happen a few times .

Ask a Question