Water insects

Badazzteacher

Wild Animal Trainer
Reaction score
This year is the first time I have seen any type of water skimming insect on the surface of my pond. I suspected they were mosquitoes based on the appearance, but it doesn't match mosquito development. They are tan, very small, about 3-4mm, and have a few dark stripes on their back. They stay away from the waterfall and will actually run off over the rocks to exit the water if I sprinkle the water with a hose or am refilling the evaporated water. I tried to search the net for answers and couldn't really glean anything solid.

Any suggestions? :banana:

Reaction score
I understand pond striders are harmless to humans. I have some in a creek nearby. 1st, are there any reasons not to try and move some to my pond? 2nd, how do you catch these things? Will they establish and reproduce?

Reaction score
They are harmless to fish a well. I have them in my small fry pond. I just scoop them with a net. Watch out though they can jump, I love having them in my pond. Yes they have reproduces there.

Ask a Question