Water Lilies and Lotus from seed

Reaction score
Has anyone grown these from seeds? Does it take forever to grow? I've read mixed reviews on sites

Does water mint and water celery grow well from seeds?

Does anyone have any of these seeds that they would sell and mail to me?

I'd love to find some new plants for the pond, but I can't import actual plants, but I can import seeds (I think).

Any thoughts?

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Lotus can be started from seed. Not sure about water lilies. Do you have a craft store in your area? Most of the ones around here have dried lotus seed heads with seeds. About $5 for 3 stems and usually several seeds in each.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Look on the net, you can get some cheap lotus seeds from over seas off of ebay. Like 99 cents.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I tried lotus from seeds last year. All of the seeds sprouted pretty fast but it was work to started it from seed (have to grind the shells and changed water everyday until it sprout) I would say 1-2 weeks. Then it took off with just the water in the tub. It then when I moved it to it tank, it kinda slow down and wouldn't grow any leaf that strong enough to go over the water. And all the leaves were so small.. About 3 inches across top.

Most of them died and I had one left, I don't know if the one I have left survive the winter or not. We shall see.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I am in New Jersey. And have been able to get the seeds to sprout pretty easily. However the season was a little short to get the plant to grow.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I started over a dozen last year that grew and actually sent out runners. The section they are in froze solid but there are still some runners that seem to be ok. Hoping to see growth in the pots soon.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Great hope so too for you mrsclem. Mine are all sort of just sitting still. We are a warm 16 this am.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
If these seeds were from a craft store, you would have absolutely no idea what variety they were, or what conditions they grow in. Perhaps these were collected in the tropics, and need more haet than we can provide, or longer hours of light. If it was me, I'd go with seeds from someone like Andy! (Adavisus)
John

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
From what I am finding out the seed heads come from China and they don't winter over. Just ordered some from US supplier so hoping I won't have to completely start over. Hoping to see something sprouting this week with the warm weather.

Ask a Question