water lilly flower?

Reaction score
Was out feeding the fish and checking on the pond plants when I noticed a shoot coming up from one of my water lillies. It looks like the pad shoots but a tad thicker and has a ball on the end. I'm hopeing this is a flower coming. Since this is my 1st pond I wasn't sure if this was actually a flower on the way.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
sounds like a flower bud to me. What kind and size of fish do you have? Koi love lilys. we have ours in a playpen built with PVC and netting and still had to scoop out 4 koi today that had gone over the wall while spawning.

Reaction score
Yeah it's a bud of a flower! My lillies have been in my pond for 3 years and this year I got my first flower! I have a second bud on the way! By the way my fish don't seem to bother my plants, maybe because they're well fed?

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Same here the lilly is a tough plant, my koi go through it ,but dont realy bother it,,,my roots are just roots no dirt,,,I through food in the plant to slow the koi down.

oldmarine

Married 32 years
Reaction score
I have had two lilly blossoms bloom so far. Yellow inside, with light purple peddles and a perimeter of white peddles around the purple.

My Shubunkins seem to enjoy playing and dashing in and out of the vertical water lilly stalks. At times it almost looks like they are play tag, and then they will stop to graise on algee.

Reaction score
Your arm! Joking, yeah I've been meaning to get a pair! They're basically a pair of prunner snips with really long handles. Most pond and garden stores carry them.

Robyn

A Ponder-ing Newbie
Reaction score
Drs Foster and Smith has them on sale right now for under $15:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/pet_supplies.cfm?c=5163+5178

p_15998_23380D.jpg

Reaction score
Hinezy said:
Yeah it's a bud of a flower! My lillies have been in my pond for 3 years and this year I got my first flower! I have a second bud on the way! By the way my fish don't seem to bother my plants, maybe because they're well fed?

I was wondering if I will ever get the buds or flowers on my lillys. I have them in for the second season. They are growing but no bugs in sight..

Reaction score
We created an above ground pond this June and our one lilly has been flowering like crazy. Feels good to have been doing something right with the pond. The water hyacinth isn't doing so well though....

Todd

Reaction score
I have 4 lillies and they have grown many many pads but no flowers yet. My hyacinth haven't flowered yet either. Any guesses as to why? I find this a bit odd. I do not fertilize them but my 1 lilly I had last year flowered twice.

Ask a Question