water lilly care

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
My first pond has been running for just over a year and I'm pretty new to aquatic plants so I apologize for the newbie question.

I have a couple water lilly plants that seem to be doing well. I'm getting blossoms and growth, anyway. But a couple of the leaves are turning yellow, which I assume is normal over time. Should I cut those off and remove them as they degrade, or is it best to leave them in the pond?

Thanks for your help!

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I always remove them. Best not to have any decaying leaves in the pond. My personal rule is to remove them once more than 50% of the leaf is yellow. Up until then, the leaf is still helpful to the plant.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
It is best to cut the leaves off not pinch them although I'm quite guilty of pinching. I cut my lily leaves back once the are good and yellow or are starting to decay along the edges.

Reaction score
Good thread! Question - do you get in the pond each time you see a leaf yellowing? Seems like a lot of in and out of the pond.

I've been leaving them until they decay and then I just net them out. Probably a bad habit, but I don't have many water lilies.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I procrastinate and wait till they are detached and just net them out. Also notice my goldfish eating the brown decayed parts.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Good thread! Question - do you get in the pond each time you see a leaf yellowing? Seems like a lot of in and out of the pond.

I've been leaving them until they decay and then I just net them out. Probably a bad habit, but I don't have many water lilies.

I'm lazy and not a big fan of getting in the pond, so I just grab onto the stem and pull once they're fully yellow. If they're dead enough the whole in thing will pull off, stem and all. Been having quite a few lately. Still getting buds though. I've never really had a full season with successful waterlilies so this year has been interesting to see the habits of the plants.

Ask a Question