Water lily, how long does the flower bloom?

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
I've been keeping waterlillies for at least 30 years, and 99.9% of the flowers last three days. The odd one will barely open the first day (usually the first flower of the year for that plant), so that could be counted as two days. One or two have lasted an extra day, but one every 15 years is REALLY not many! :D
John
And just to clear the air, I CAN change a toilet paper roll (and even get it the right way around), and I not only know where the vacuum cleaner IS, I use it regularly! :p Of course, I'm retired (sorta), and my sweety still works full-time. Oh, and I do the dishes. :D

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@HARO ....and my Hubby is a better "housewife" than I am! Seriously! I want to spend all my time outside. And I usually have to correct him when it comes to using tools and such..... :) Fortunately we agree about which way to load a TP roll.

I have about 6 different hardy WL varieties. One, Sioux, is a changable that does go 3-4 days. I had a tropical a couple of years ago, Islamorada -- gorgeous, gorgeous purple blooms -- but not a night-bloomer. HOWEVER, she was a welfare lily [not to offend anyone.....]. That particular lily is viviparous -- it makes its own babies, and makes its own babies, and keeps on making its own babies.....! It will start making a baby plant right off an existing pad, and another, and another. And before you know it, that baby is having babies! I am not exaggerating! Darndest thing I ever saw. But I gave her away because I didn't want to mess with over-wintering a "tropical."

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Perhaps I spoke too hastily! I am referring to hardy lillies in my previous post. Among them have been Attraction, Arc-En-Ciel, Mme. Wilfon Gonnerre, Virginalis, Alba, Carnea, Chromatella, Black Princess, Sioux, Colorado, and a number of mostly un-named (or unknown) pink varieties. All bloomed for just three days. I've also tried the tropical Woods White Knight, and Princess of Siam, but our season is just not conducive to tropicals, and neither over-wintered, even in a greenhouse. The tropicals, however, DID bloom longer, I believe as long as five days.
John

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
And just to clear the air, I CAN change a toilet paper roll (and even get it the right way around), and I not only know where the vacuum cleaner IS, I use it regularly! :p Of course, I'm retired (sorta), and my sweety still works full-time. Oh, and I do the dishes. :D
Next thing you're going to tell me you have a unicorn! Lol
You're a keeper. So is my hubby, I tease him about the TP but I leave laundry in the dryer for days so we are even... :wideyed:

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Sorry.... the unicorn ran off two years ago, and my ads in the local paper have gone un-answered. :rolleyes:
John

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
haha this turns out to be so much fun to read - I love this group :)

I ordered a night blooming lily... it'll probably be next season before I could share, @tbendl I also leave cloth in the dryer once in a while... it gets worse when we have the washer and dryer on the second floor.. procrastination kick in too easy ;)

Some how I cant wait for next year when my plants all mature but I actually dont want this year (summer) to go too fast!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Mine are in the basement.................... he does haul the laundry downstairs, does change the tp roll, if not use the fingers.................yuck! Whoever runs out changes. Now does he know where the soap is, the extra toothpaste, how to load the laundry..............nope

The wanvisa is now on its 3rd day of blooming, will see what tomorrow brings. The Purple fantasy is on it 4th day, hybrid. It blooms early am, shuts late evening.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I won't pick on my husband. He does lots of things that I don't want to worry about - like all the car related stuff, pays the bills, takes care of insurance and sump pumps and replacing furnaces and roofs and water heaters and... now that I say that, he really deserves more credit than I give him!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We share the load, I usually work side by side with him, on the rentals, on the house The pond and yard are mine to mess with, he does the cars, I do the bills, but have always done the bills (got to love on line banking and ebills) Still have the check books we got when we married 6 years ago, have not even gone through one.

He is a good man, but he has a good women taking care of him! lol

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
My husband is great. He's super smart and hard working and I wouldn't be able to keep up with all the work he has (he runs his own businesses and build several houses at the same time) but he wouldn't be able to find his cell phone or car Keyes without me ;)

Addy, is the purple fantasy a night bloomer?

Right now my pond is quite full and I hve lots of water hyacinth this year. May be next year when all my water lilies grow and mature more I won't need water hyacinth anymore.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Addy, is the purple fantasy a night bloomer?
It is a hardy, day bloomer, a hybrid that my dear hubby bought for me last year. Darn expensive. I never would pay that much for a lily. But so pretty!
IMG_1978.JPG

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
wow, that's really pretty :)
I envy your clear water. My water is cloudy again from the storm! the rain water was soooo strong it took all the dirt off my lawn and into the pond, AGAIN! I'm trying to plant grass but not yet successful.

But event if my pond is clear, it's not 'clear' per say, it got red tint in it and even with activated charcoal, I still dont get it that clear... may be I'll have to wait until next season!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I muck the water up every time I groom the lilies, groom the bog. Usually within a few hours it is clear again.
The purple is still blooming, the wanvisa flowers sank today.

Ask a Question