Water lily weirdness

Reaction score
Country
United States
I moved two of my water lilies to a much bigger space because they seemed crowded where they were (including one having mostly "aerial" leaves that stayed aloft, never reaching the water). Now that I've moved the lillies, however, the one continues to have "aerial" leaves, and the other has ONLY upside-down pads. I've tried flipping all the upside-down pads right-side-up, but they don't stay that way; they wind up upside-down again within a few hours.

These are weird "issues," right? Any ideas regarding what, if anything, I should do?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Can you post some photos? I've never seen a lily with aerial leaves - are you sure these aren't lotuses?

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
My Texas Dawn lily, when they need to be repotted will get aerial leaves, just a few inches up out of the water. So, if you just moved the lily and didn’t divide and repot it, then it will still put up aerial leaves. When I have moved lilies the existing leaves sometimes would flip upside down.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks! Now that it's been a few days, the leaves are settling down closer to the water. I guess they just needed a few days to get used to their new environment. :)

Reaction score
Country
United States
my lily seems to be acting strange too after repotting into bigger pot. It just stopped growing. Pads are still green but no more growing like it use to. It's been about a week since repotting. Made sure the end where the pads shoot out was slightly above the substrate. Any suggestions?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Where are you located @Douglas ? Our weather here in the midwest has definitely affected our lilies - very slow to grow, slow to bloom. They like the nice hot nights which we haven't had much of lately!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Where are you located @Douglas ? Our weather here in the midwest has definitely affected our lilies - very slow to grow, slow to bloom. They like the nice hot nights which we haven't had much of lately!
Charlotte NC... So I definitely have the warm nights and days. Lots ot sun exposure. They usually shoot purple pads and then turns green but the last pad is still floating 2/3 green and the other 1/3 purple. i have the hardy kinds.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
It may take a bit to catch up to the bigger pot size. Did you fertilize it when you repotted it? Did you divide it or just put the whole thing in a bigger pot?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
It might be working on growing roots right now rather than leaves. I have had lilies slow down when I re-potted them.

Reaction score
Country
United States
@Lisak1 hmmm... Okay. And I did add fertilizer but there was not much to divide. All the pads grow from one end. I didn't know i should of divided it if I needed to.

@addy1 okay I hope so. Didn't seem like its dying so I kind of assumed somethings happening in the pot.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
If you can put it shallow and in full sun. That helps also.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
They do seem to do better when they get a bit crowded. If there was only one growing tip, then you wouldn't divide it. Give it time - they're pretty tough plants. I"m sure it's just settling in to the new space.

Reaction score
Country
United States
my lily seems to be acting strange too after repotting into bigger pot. It just stopped growing. Pads are still green but no more growing like it use to. It's been about a week since repotting. Made sure the end where the pads shoot out was slightly above the substrate. Any suggestions?
In my experience it takes several weeks to a month for a repotted or divided lilly to resume vigorous growth. Give it some time and maybe a few fertilizer tablets...

Ask a Question