Water loss when ice on pond

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi thanks for accepting me. I have a water loss issue but only when the pond has ice on it. The level will drop six inches overnight! When the ice has thawed the level stays low until I top it up.
The level then stays constant until another cold spell when the level drops again. Cant see any leaks from the filter box and piping. It's a bit of a mystery!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1674584756391.gif
@Sheene7
Could there be water splashing out from a waterfall? Do you have any pumps running or anything else? Sounds like the filter box is running. Maybe turn all things off that push water and wait for the ice and see what happens w/nothing running. 6 inches is a lot! Maybe show us a photo of your set up. No idea what is going on at this point.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hi thanks for accepting me. I have a water loss issue but only when the pond has ice on it. The level will drop six inches overnight! When the ice has thawed the level stays low until I top it up.
The level then stays constant until another cold spell when the level drops again. Cant see any leaks from the filter box and piping. It's a bit of a mystery!
there is a really good post about this in Garden pond talk. posted Jan 6. called: Do you get ice? Top up your pond. Sorry, don,t know how to copy it into this thread but it explains why you lose volume when water freezes. I wondered the same thing as it was occuring in my pond also. Not a leak, just science.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Sorry, don,t know how to copy it into this thread
ON THE TOP OF THE WEB PAGE IS WHAT THEY CALL the web address . some times the address starts with http: bring the mouse up to the address click at the begining then click again hold down the left side of the mouse and drag the highlight to the end of the address. release the left mouse . place the pointer over the highlighted area and then right click and select copy. bring the copied text to the post . right click and paste. or try this link

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
View attachment 155841@Sheene7
Could there be water splashing out from a waterfall? Do you have any pumps running or anything else? Sounds like the filter box is running. Maybe turn all things off that push water and wait for the ice and see what happens w/nothing running. 6 inches is a lot! Maybe show us a photo of your set up. No idea what is going on at this point.
Just checked this morning and it's pretty low. I went round and checked for leak's but found nothing. I've topped it up and will monitor now the ice has melted. I was wondering if it might be wicking up the plants? I will isolate the pump and filter if it ices over again. Thanks for your help greatly appreciated.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Ice consumes water, literally. Any water that turns to ice is water that's "lost" to your pump. When it melts, it's again available to the pump.

What kind of temperature swings are yo having that your pond is freezing and thawing that many times in one season? How big is your pond?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Previous posters are correct but also in my case I had water frozen on my waterfall and new water was getting on top of the ice and going over the edge. If since fixed it by pulling the liner up in those spots.

Ask a Question