Water loss

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
New pond and first pond I’ve had.I just feel like I am losing water. I have marked it and it’s down but very minimal over 24 hours I was wondering how much water does a pond lose naturally down to weather or other natural ways (if any ) is topping up more regularly than I thought.I have no obvious signs of a leak but doesn’t look/Feel right any help will be brilliant

Reaction score
Country
United States
It varies quite a bit with pond design and local climate. If you have pumps running, waterfalls/streams, aerators, etc. those will increase evaporation. If it's windy and dry you'll get more. If it's leaking, the water has to go somewhere, so check all edges/margins for wet spots. Folds in the liner, or anything that is half in/half out of the pond can wick quite a bit of water out, even "up hill".

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you.

I do have a fountain or aerator going 24 hours it is UK weather so goes from dry to windy to showers frequently nothing heavy rain wise since pond built.I can’t see any wet patches anywhere so I think it’s just me overthinking.Thanks again

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I lose a bunch everyday. The bog plants suck it right out and hot hot hot

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I lose a bunch everyday. The bog plants suck it right out and hot hot hot
I didn’t realise it was such a common thing to lose water like this. I thought it would stay same level forever if no rain water added.Learning every day.Thanks for your continuing help.Very appreciated

Ask a Question