Water Runnoff Help

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
I've actually been considering changing my downspouts to run into a barrel at either end of the house. I was thinking the same thing, that sitting in the barrel would help disperse contaminants and allow larger particles like the rock from the shingles to settle to the bottom. I'm just not sure if it would be better to tap the water off near the top or the bottom of the barrel? I would guess a few inches above the bottom, so the solid particles don't get picked up, but below any gases or oil residue from the top?

Reaction score
If I fold my liner up like this would it create a new problem by allowing the rain water that was getting into my pond to now get under the liner and lift it?

Attachments

• Liner.jpg
    Liner.jpg
    162.1 KB · Views: 221
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
using the center point of a rain barrel for the water source puts all the laws of physics and chemistry on your side. solids go to the bottom. a top spout can drain off floating surface contaminants that are oil loving and less dense than water. a top cover that has vents will permit gassing off. a mosquito inhibitor floating in the water reduces that nuisance, and rain water is a great purified source. small college chemistry departments use rain water as distilled water in some programs in their labs. it isn't perfect but it's not bad.

as for water getting under a liner, if your liner is 45 mil EPDM, the weight of the product tends to prevent floating, as it is heavier than water. a less dense and lighter product like a 12 mil tarp however might tend to float. we built our pond with a six inch vertical lip to prevent contamination and to keep koi where they belong, and it works just fine, and i have a small spring under my liner fed by the surrounding hill, and we never have a floating problem.

Reaction score
Yes it is the 45 mil EPDM liner, I just do not want to fix one problem just to create a larger one. By the way, I'm not trying to collect rain water into a rain barrel, just prevent heavy storms from washing muddy water into the pond.....

Thanks!!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
koisRus said:
If I fold my liner up like this would it create a new problem by allowing the rain water that was getting into my pond to now get under the liner and lift it?

I raised the edges of my liner like that to keep run off from the pond. It works great, and you can use rocks etc to hide the liner edge. Also did mini french drains.

I don't think the water that would get under the liner would be able to raise the pond. I would also slope dirt away from the raised edge, that too will help with run off.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
The only time i had a floating liner was in a early pond that the rain water was able to spill
in to...I went up 8" from that water level and have never had a problem since

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I think the only way a 45 mil liner could float is if the water table was higher than the ponds water level. Water weight cancells itself and and the liner is heavier than water.

Ask a Question