United States
Finally decided to test our water,
It reads identical to the well water.

test strips, have not found a drop kit yet
under 6 for ph
under or equal to lowest alkalinity reading which is 5 or zero, can't read it
hardness ........water is soft, around 75
no nitrate or nitrites.

Can your ph and alkalinity be too low for fish?
Thanks in advance

Reaction score
Yes your ph can be too low and it can be too high a good ph level can be from 6.5-9.0
when you ph gets too low the water will become acidic and your fish will die same with on the high side your water will have too much amonia in it. You can get back into the netrual range you can use bacteria, however i would leave it case these ph jumps can be bad for the fish and cause them to be sick. If it does not go back up in your case i would use bacteria.

:lol:~marino~:lol:

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We don't have any fish, we were thinking of getting some feeder goldfish. I doubt the ph will jump, we use the well water to top it, it has been full for 2-3 months now.
The ph is equal to the well, so this might be an on going problem.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
6 pH is dangerously low It doesn't take much to have a pH crash at 6pH

Reaction score
Well the well water could be whats doing it too its high in sulfer so i would recomend just using your hose if you ahve on or if its just the well water you have then i really dont know what to tell you there are other very helpful people on here like the Drs.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
pondbuilder13 said:
Well the well water could be whats doing it too its high in sulfer so i would recomend just using your hose if you ahve on or if its just the well water you have then i really dont know what to tell you there are other very helpful people on here like the Drs.

We have just a well.
koisRus said:
Addy, I think you need to get a better test kit first - like this one
http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=5367

Worst case, go to PetSmart or Petco and get a Aquarium Freshwater test kit. You may want to also get the GH - KH test kit while you are there. The KH is important as it is the buffering capacity.

We picked up the only one they had, strips. but i will order one. I also used our hot tub test strip it equaled the reading on the pond test strip, whenever i clean the hot tub, I have to add ph up and alkalinity up to get it stabilized again.

Reaction score
addy1 said:
We picked up the only one they had, strips. but i will order one. I also used our hot tub test strip it equaled the reading on the pond test strip, whenever i clean the hot tub, I have to add ph up and alkalinity up to get it stabilized again.

The only issue with that is always having to add something to your water every time you top off. If you do have to, look into baking soda and super washing soda, alot cheaper than ph up.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
koisRus said:
The only issue with that is always having to add something to your water every time you top off. If you do have to, look into baking soda and super washing soda, alot cheaper than ph up.

Thanks I added baking soda, a little salt, waiting to see how it balances out.
Yep our well will add acid every day, until cooler, we have to top off a little every day with the bog running and this non stop heat.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Well around five hours later, the ph, alkalinity, are perfect hardness is middle of the road.. Five dollars for 13 lbs of baking soda at costco, 2.57 for kosher salt at the grocery store.

Around 6 pounds of baking soda, with some kosher salt, my pond keeper in arizona suggested the salt to get the electrolytes stable.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I7 will take more than a little BS to raise your pH and kH to the proper levels.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You lost me there, so your are saying the test strips are wrong, or it will change tomorrow. I intend to test it a few times a day for the next few weeks. The readings on the strips did change.

If we decide to try goldies it will be weeks before we put any in. I am trying to get it less acidic before the trap door snails get here.

Reaction score
I'd wait until you get the liquid master test kit with vials. The strips can be WAY off. Their cheaply made.
I used to use them as quick testers. Till one day I used them and my PH was reading 6. I was freaking out thinking I was in the middle of a PH crash. My normal PH is 8. Went for the baking soda and right before I added any I did a quick master test. Reading was 8 as usual. Looked back at my strip and was puzzled for a second. Then I noticed it said high alkalinity. How could it be alkaline with a 6 acid reading! No more strips for me...ever. Almost trashed my pond because of them.

Reaction score
Also, I'm not 100% sure, but I think you need to be careful on the salt you use. Make sure its the kind without iodine. And make sure you add the right amount for your pond size. You should only run about .1% salt. And anything over .3 kills plants. I've never ran salt so someone will have to chime in more on that.

Good luck.

Ask a Question