Water turning green

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hi Cinder. Except for floating plants they mostly all last from year to year. I put them in a flat plastic container with holes and fill it with pea gravel that has been thoroughly rinsed which then goes on a shelf. Before the winter I cut off any leaves like you would do with most perennial plants. It's easy to start with sedges (long pointy leaves) as they do well and also water irises do well too. They are very good at cleaning water and provide shelter for fish fry and tadpoles where larger fish can't come into the plants easily and gobble them up. Interestingly most pond plants are considered invasive by many municipalities and are not always easy to buy. One of the local pond clubs asks members to donate their water hyacinths at the end of the season to the zoo every year so the hippos have a tasty treat!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Cometkeith i see in the picture your pond is just gorgeous all the fish you have very nice. Thanks for the suggestions I'll have to keep those 2 garden places in mind. Not sure if its to late in the year to get them but I'll surely take a ride and investigate it. And thats such a cool idea to give them to the zoo at the end of the season. Now i see you in chicago area do you take the hyacinths to the zoo or give them to the pond society? usually i have so many and i really hate throwing them out. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hey Cinder. Thanks! The wh donations to Brookfield are facilitated by the Midwest Pond and Koi Society. They have a garden tour starting on the 23rd in the South Suburbs. You need to buy a tour book for $25 to attend. There are a bunch of garden stores that sell the book. If you like seeing really interesting ponds of all kinds and meeting nice people that all love Koi and goldfish I recommend you check it out. I have seen ponds from 600 gallons to 60,000 gallons. I usually go to at least part of the tour every year. My favorite pond is in Brookfield because the owners let people sample their homemade craft beer when they come to visit! See link: http://mpks.org/wp/?post_type=tribe_events

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Thanks for all the info. I will have to check it out. Sounds like a great time. You've been very helpful! I've learned a lot. And look forward to learning more from this wonderful site(y):)

Reaction score
Country
United States
I wanted to chime in about pond tours and this one pond I saw that I just cannot forget.

This guy had a channel of water from his pond come through the foundation of his house into his livingroom and back out another side!!! It was the most amazing thing I've ever seen. He said his koi would swim in during the winter when his woodstove was going. Incredible. I saw this house in Gloucester, MA.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
How awesome!!! I Can't imagine how nice that must've been to see. Would be a great conversation piece! I guess you really have to have a great imagination to create something like that. Thanks

Ask a Question