Waterfall from natural granite feature

Jhb

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi, I am looking to build a waterfall from a natural feature on my property. I have attached a photo. This only needs to be a waterfall, I don’t plan to host any plants or fish.

That said, I have started by digging out the catch basin. It’s maybe 8’ diameter and 2’ deep at its deepest.

I have poured some walls using concrete and am now ready to seal it. Due to its irregular shape, I will not be able to use a pond liner. I initially thought I might use landscape fabric with sprayed hdpe on it, but recently discovered bentonite.

The basin is mostly ledge with different pieces that need to be filled to hold the water.

How best can I seal this up? I’m not sure the bentonite can be used on the vertical concrete walls. Perhaps a mix of products might work? Waterproofer for concrete and bentonite for cracks and bottom?

Thanks for any help/advice with this project. It’s my first attempt at a large water feature.

Attachments

• IMG_7043.jpeg
    IMG_7043.jpeg
    442.7 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_7044.jpeg
    IMG_7044.jpeg
    447.6 KB · Views: 21

Jhb

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi, I am looking to build a waterfall from a natural feature on my property. I have attached a photo. This only needs to be a waterfall, I don’t plan to host any plants or fish.

That said, I have started by digging out the catch basin. It’s maybe 8’ diameter and 2’ deep at its deepest.

I have poured some walls using concrete and am now ready to seal it. Due to its irregular shape, I will not be able to use a pond liner. I initially thought I might use landscape fabric with sprayed hdpe on it, but recently discovered bentonite.

The basin is mostly ledge with different pieces that need to be filled to hold the water.

How best can I seal this up? I’m not sure the bentonite can be used on the vertical concrete walls. Perhaps a mix of products might work? Waterproofer for concrete and bentonite for cracks and bottom?

Thanks for any help/advice with this project. It’s my first attempt at a large water feature.

Attachments

• IMG_7486.jpeg
    IMG_7486.jpeg
    491.6 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_7485.jpeg
    IMG_7485.jpeg
    519.7 KB · Views: 14

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Welcomeeagleflies.gif
@Jhb
That will really look great if you can figure out a way to seal all of it. Can't help w/that but someone here may be able to.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum . I know what your thinking but its not an easy task to do .Not worth it in my book BUT YOU COULD USE that great big rock as a character boulder you have the slope behind it that you could have a small wetland filter or just a simple pooling area that then drops along side the Boulder. So your using the Boulder for edging along the waterfall but you don't have the nightmare trying to seal it off. Look at pondless waterfalls on youtube.YouTube. you could then have the water turn between the two boulders and hide the liner with some moss rock s and wood. Could be very interesting.

Jhb

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am sort of determined to do the waterfall because it could be seen from the patio (elevated from the fall), and I would really like the sound of the water falling. I have a pond 30 feet from the rock in the photo so make up water may not be a big deal. But that is a follow-up discussion. I need it to hold water first and I will look into pond-less waterfalls as you stated. thanks.

Last edited:

Jhb

Reaction score
Country
United States
So you know where I am, I’m thinking maybe paint hdpe to seal the concrete, bentonite to seal the floor and joints between rocks, and maybe hydraulic cement here or there as needed. At this point I figure a few hundred in material plus my effort.

Jhb

Reaction score
Country
United States
Very possible, but I’m still willing to try. That said, anyone have creative solutions to try?

Pondless was a good suggestion, and I probably will integrate some ideas from that as the catch basin is very small and not really much of a pond.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Expansion contraction is your biggest enemy. hydraulic will crack it has zero flexibility the reason it works on say a foundation is because it has a footing below frost or weak soils. butyl caulk would be my choice first fill the crack with that after PRESSURE WASHING cleaning and or muriatic acid. bentonite is great stuff but it is wakest when it abuts something like a rock. Another option is called a bib liner where you can place epdm in the depression and one of two things you could wrap it up on the sides and bring it to your water level or cut it along the rock and seal that to the rock again with caulking. they have spray foam as well butyl it is not water proof but once it dries you can coat it in caulk.

Jhb

Reaction score
Country
United States
So, my original idea was to lay out landscape fabric up to the water level line in pieces to shape the basin and spray a thick coat (20-30mils) of hdpe rubber onto it. This will of course cover the stone which I was sort of hoping to be visible.

My concern is, how do I ensure the fabric bonds to the stone on the sides? Or even better, how to bond the fabric below the waterline against the granite such that it won’t leak.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You don't fabric is not the answer. epdm is what you want to use . like i said its a bib liner

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Heavy duty polyethylene? Not that I am aware of. They may have uncured that I have never heard of. Uncured rubber is some sticky stuff touch it to its self and your all done . Ice and water shield is what I am referring too. Clean the rock place it to the rock and hit it with a hammer. To drive it into the crevices. I doubt it's great for fish but your not looking at fish that I remember. . But if I HAD to do it it would be backer rod butly caulking epdm and then coat the butyl with a fish safe caulking once it skins over the little that it does.

Jhb

Reaction score
Country
United States
I think I’m not being clear and using the wrong term. When I say hdpe, I mean liquid rubber, like NeoPond or Rubberizeit.

I would etch the stone and concrete, prime it and use fabric to gap wider holes and crevices. Than apply the 30mil rubber in several coats.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
nothing ventured nothing gained as they say. i have been in construction some 45 years and have learned there is 6 ways to do each project one will be the overall winner one will work but may need maintenance and a third may not work at all. then there are the many ways in between. These words every venture capitalists have heard. Wish you luck......

Ask a Question