Waterfall help

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Here is Florida, even with generally above average humidity, it was typical for my pond to loose anywhere from 1/4 gallon/ sq.ft. surface area to 3/4/ gallons/sq.ft. of surface area per day.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Here is Florida, even with generally above average humidity, it was typical for my pond to loose anywhere from 1/4 gallon/ sq.ft. surface area to 3/4/ gallons/sq.ft. of surface area per day.
Our humidity is probably a tad lower than yours, Meyer, but I know I lose a good bit of water than can only be the result of evaporation. It's amazing!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
in fact lower humidity will have more evaporation then higher humidity

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I add water everyday, once the heat and sun gets going. The plants and the surface area lose a lot of water. I use a irrigation timer to do a auto watering. On a well so no worries about chlorine.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
In my signature below, "pond heat loss formula", a person can figure out their actual evaporative loss rate.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Works fine if you own a wet-bulb thermometer and know how to calculate pond water vapor pressure.

There are some given values for some of these numbers, I was working on a simplified version before I was called out to plow a field.:)

Well doesn't everyone?!? :ROFLMAO::confused:;)

Hey, don't you give me a hard time too!
:)

So far, according to my calculations, if we have the water temperature, pond surface area, air temperature, wind velocity and saturation pressure, we can arrive at a snapshot of the evaporation rate per minute.
We will need some effort from pond owners for these numbers, but I'll start a separate thread if anyone would want to contribute.
It's just physics. I promise it won't hurt.
:rolleyes:

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
So far, according to my calculations, if we have the water temperature, pond surface area, air temperature, wind velocity and saturation pressure, we can arrive at a snapshot of the evaporation rate per minute.

Can you post this formula that you devised?

Ask a Question