Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
TURTLES HAVE ACCEPTED THEIR POND!!!!

Well, whatever their issues were, the boxies are now accepting their aquatic habitat addition! Have seen all or most of them either going to or exiting the water area, and have caught a couple of them actually in the water. They don't seem "nervous" any more, so guess it was just the newness.

pondlover

Life is good today!
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Wow very impressed. I've never seen a turtle pond. Your sitting rock is AWESOME!!!

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Just viewed your pictures Mmathis and love your turtles. I would love to have a turtle for my pond. Will the turtles bother the goldfish?
I don't think so, but you never know what animals will do in nature :) There are some turtles that eat fish, but in general, not box turtles. Let me rephrase that: I don't think boxies would go in active pursuit of a fishy meal, but if there was a little one flopping about and easy to get to, then maybe....

These are box turtles, which are land turtles and are not aquatic. They just use the water to soak in and use the bathroom. My challenge with this pond build was to come up with something they could use as a watering hole, but it had to be 100% safe for them -- basically they needed their space to be separate from the main "pond" so they couldn't escape or drown [they only need a couple of inches of water].

Not to discourage you, but I wouldn't recommend turtles unless you have experience caring for them. They have their own needs and it can be quite a learning experience in itself.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Wow very impressed. I've never seen a turtle pond. Your sitting rock is AWESOME!!!

Thanks! I'd never seen a [box] turtle pond before, either :) Apparently most box turtle parents keep something like a planter saucer in the habitat filled with water for them to soak & poop in -- and that's something that has to be emptied & cleaned several times a day [at least with my bunch!]. Let me tell you, that gets old REAL fast.

My Hubby spotted the "sitting rock" during one of our rock purchase runs.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Sure glad they learned to like there new digs TM.............all your hard work has paid off :D

Ask a Question