We have an 80,000 gallon Koi pond. It has never been filtered and the water is green.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Over the weekend we spent big bucks and bought an aerator for our back 1/4 pond. The results are amazing. Probably going to put one in the koi pond too.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Over the weekend we spent big bucks and bought an aerator for our back 1/4 pond. The results are amazing. Probably going to put one in the koi pond too.

Great news! It may be expensive, but the results will be long lasting and satisfying!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Now that you have circulation breaking down organic material, you're going to have nitrates and phosphate available.
I recommend measuring for those 2 plus KH and GH.
Bacteria require oxygen from the circulation, carbonates and trace minerals to keep doing their job.
Excess nitrates can be taken up by plants, but string algae may be what benefits from the phosphates.
Phosphates can be chemically bound by clay or be consumed by plants.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
BOG filter and a intake bay will fix your issues!! I’m so happy I did a BOG. Only way to go you can build an external bog and flow water through it back into your pond.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I dOUBT THERES MANY NEWBIES WHO DIDNT DO THE SAME.

Dave Cee

High-school Sweethearts
Reaction score
Country
United States
1659998368874.png

Welcome!

Ask a Question