Well based continous pond water flow system

Reaction score
Country
United States
I would like to pump clean well water into my Koi pond and back out from the pond into the yard or down another well pipe. What I am looking for is continuous clean well water flowing in, through the pond, and back out of the pond. This would run at a slow flow rate 24/7 so that clean water is constantly being added to the pond. Does anyone here use such a system and if so could you tell me how it is set up? I can use a well with a small pump to get water in the pond but getting the water out is what has me stumped. I can't just dump overflow in my yard because it's not big enough to constantly disperse water in it. I have a 2,500-3000 gallon liner pond. Any suggestions are appreciated. See PDF diagram attached for concept.

Attachments

• well pond flow.pdf
    518.8 KB · Views: 7

JRS

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
What kind of flow rate were you thinking? I have done something similar temporarily during dry spells letting water trickle into the pond and overflow the edges, of which I have a couple of low spots to enable this. Overflow not an issue for my yard. Some folks use drywells to handle excess water which is basically what you have designed so that should work.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Unless your dumping hundreds of gallons an hour into the pond then I don’t see an issue with over flow. I was experimenting with this concept last summer. I just ran a hose from my outdoor spigot and into the pond…I was running it at a drop every 2 seconds…which was like 50 gallons a day.

Reaction score
Country
United States
What kind of flow rate were you thinking? I have done something similar temporarily during dry spells letting water trickle into the pond and overflow the edges, of which I have a couple of low spots to enable this. Overflow not an issue for my yard. Some folks use drywells to handle excess water which is basically what you have designed so that should work.
Constant overflow is a problem because my yard is very small. The ground would be constantly saturated I think. I would like to see about 100-200 gph flow into and out of the pond. That would turn over the entire water volume about every 24 hours. Dont know how much a dry well would be able to handle but we have coral rock underground here so it should be pretty porous.

Ask a Question