What additional thing shall I get?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Hozelock Easyclear 9000 pump.

I have just had an additional electric socket put in outside so I could now get air stones, a UV filter, or something else.

The problems:-
South facing garden
Pond 13ft by 8ft x 1.5ft (yes, the problem is it is not deep enough, I am having to work with that).
Have oxygenating plants, lilies, and cover for about 1/3 of pond.

I have about 25 shubbys (I became a 'fin grandma' last year for the first time and 6 went to 25!)

Water colour ok. Algae on bottom an issue. Blanket weed I am working on.

So, fellow pond lovers, what are your suggestions for what I could get to help fish live their best comfortable life?

(I do feed dry food, I did get fresh food and it seemed to go in one hit - it was £15 and consisted of blood worms, shrimps. etc. so not affordable every week).

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
SkunkSwingsWelcome.gif
@k8m8

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
You know one of the big problems already, so I vote for a shovel.

There’s also something you could give up: feeding. Plenty of algae for them to eat.
Thank you. The first year I was here, I did not feed. Then I felt I should. They like being fed so much. Maybe I will go to once a day instead and see what happens :)

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Thank you. The first year I was here, I did not feed. Then I felt I should. They like being fed so much. Maybe I will go to once a day instead and see what happens :)
I didn't feed my goldfish for years and they did fine. I like tho to see them coming to me as a friend and not a foe so I feed them once per week now. Too much feeding just fouls up the water as they then poo a lot. Lots of bugs, worms and algae etc. for them to feed on in your pond.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum!

I feed mine off and on, never a lot. They do fine.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I shall investigate whether oxygen bubbles or an additional UV light is better for my shallow pond. Thanks everyone for your comments. I have definitely adjusted my feeding already .

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
You know one of the big problems already, so I vote for a shovel.

There’s also something you could give up: feeding. Plenty of algae for them to eat.
Thank you for pointing out about the algae. I guess I have to think like a fish (rather than 'yuk'!)

Ask a Question