Cleared out the leaves and I'm worried I've bollixed everything

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi, sorry I can't give you the details on pond chemistry. I'm a total newb who bought a house with a fish pond last August.

The realtor told us that the pond had been neglected for the previous couple of years. Nevertheless, it appeared to be thriving with about 23 goldfish living off of the small pond's native ecosystem.

I didn't want to mess with the situation, but I was concerned that too many dead leaves had accumulated over the last few years.
So I waded in with a rake and swept out a lot of dead leaves. At its deepest, the pond is about 3.5 feet deep. (I also raked out a couple of the fish, but managed to get most of them back in while they were still alive.)

Now the pond water is completely turbid and the fish don't come up to feed when I put food on the pond.
(I did not feed the fish regularly. Usually I did it to delight children and other visitors.)

I feel bad enough about killing one fish? Have I killed them all?

Most importantly: What can I do next?

Thanks!

-Mike

JRS

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum! At this point you just need to wait. Do not put anymore food in there, give the water and the fish a chance to settle. Unless you see dead bodies, they could very well be hunkered down at the bottom, irritated at having their environment disturbed.

Sometimes disturbing a large build up of old organic matter can release hydrogen sulfide, the rotten egg smell, which could harm the fish. Otherwise, they are likely just hiding. Wait till the water clears to see for sure.

Do you have any filtration or aeration on the pond or is it completely still water? Dimensions besides depth?

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Welcome bug24.gif
@whuppy

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum!

Like said above let all settle, they most likely will be fine.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks for the prompt reassurance, guys. The water's still turbid, but I've been running the submerged pump over a waterfall arrangement of stones. If nothing else, that at least aerates the water, yes?
Anyway I startled one of them when clearing the pump intake, and then saw a few darting by at the other end.
So I fed them and I didn't get a count because they were easily spooked but it looked like at least 10 or 15.

I think birds are coming through right now on top of whatever trauma I'm dishing out, too.

Anyway, I don't even know how clear I want the pond to be if it makes them easy pickins for the osprey.

It's great to know I can come here with questions. Thanks again!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Oh and the pond is lined hole, about 10' x 20', 3.5' deep in the middle. Southern New England.

Ask a Question