What are some stupid* things you've done (that DIDN'T hurt fish or pond?)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5B
Country
United States
koiguy1969 said:
left water going on water change...got sidetracked and forgot...caught it before any problems arose tho!
was testing waterfall, and got called in for a phone call...lost track of what i was doing and pumped a couple hudred gals of water under my liner. bought a "drill motor" pump, wiggled a hose under liner and fixed it fairly easily.
I'm guilty of this as well, but thankfully have a high water drain in my skimmer.

HTH said:
I think I floated a liner once. But I have left the hose running enough times to loose count. Last time was last night. We had pulled enough lilies out to lower the water level maybe 5 inches. I woke up at 3AM and ran out to turn it off. Water is chlorinated and I run the hose into the water agitated by the air so the fish do not sit with their nose next to the hose.
That's a lot of lilies! :regular_waving_emot

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
This is not a pond tale but it is to do with fish ......
A friend of mine lived in and owned the top floor flat in a converted house.
He was having an illegal puff of the magic herb and getting right into it with the decent music playing (rock).
Much to say time went by and he fogot totally about the fact he was topping up his 4ft tank in the living room.
All of a sudden there was a hectic knocking at door at the bottom of his stairs so he went down opened the door and there stood both the next floor flat owner and the ground floor flat owner shouting at him that his flat had develoed a burst pipe.
That instant he was hit by the sudden clarity of oh S*** I've forgotten I was topping up the tank lol.
Much to say he pretended to get a plumber in and went around making pipe noises by tapping the wrench against it.
He also had to help dry his neighbours flats as well, hiring two dehumidifiers to do the job .
Never again when doing a water change did he partake of the magic herb it quit frankly cost him to much lol

rgrds

Dave

Reaction score
HTH said:
I think I floated a liner once. But I have left the hose running enough times to loose count. Last time was last night. We had pulled enough lilies out to lower the water level maybe 5 inches. I woke up at 3AM and ran out to turn it off. Water is chlorinated and I run the hose into the water agitated by the air so the fish do not sit with their nose next to the hose.
I thought I had a lot of waterlilies at 20 pots....

Reaction score
hmmm... one year I had bought a few fish and was fairly excited to find a black koi of some type, still fairly small, I placed them into the pond and watched for a few days. The black fish was difficult to see against the black liner unless I was feeding and it came to the surface. One day I noticed I didn't see it anymore, looking frantically and feeding fish to see if it would show, I happen to look across the pond and saw my bullfrog. Yes I thought the unthinkable, so I grabbed my net and scooped him up and pried its mouth open. To know avail did I find signs or remnants of my fish. A few days later I was cleaning my prefilter basket on my pump and found the bugger, dead unfortunately. It must have gotten too close to my skimmer inlet, brushes and net and got sucked in..

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Well, in my title, I specified things "that DIDN'T hurt fish or pond," but..... At least now I know why my snails died!

About a month ago, I ordered some Japanese Trap Door snails. Most went in the pond, but I put about 4 very small ones in an indoor tank I was going to use as an emergency or Q-tank. There is one spastic Ryukin and a couple of Rosy Reds in the tank.

Guess who forgot to change out the water in the QT, after salting some new fish :(

HTH

Howard
Reaction score
Back when we were selling cuttings it made a lot of sense to have lots O pots. But cutting back is hard to do. The plan is to mostly go back to one plant per variety on the large ones. I want to start specializing in drawf and mini's. Try making and selling barrel pond kits and that requires small plants.

Neo

Nick
Reaction score
A couple years ago I bought my son one of those pools that have the inflatable rings around the top to hold up the sides and overnight I'm guessing the neighbors cat jumped up to grab a drink and popped the ring, chemical filled pool water flooded my entire backyard and the water came within inches of spilling into the pond.

HTH

Howard
Reaction score
Neo said:
A couple years ago I bought my son one of those pools that have the inflatable rings around the top to hold up the sides and overnight I'm guessing the neighbors cat jumped up to grab a drink and popped the ring, chemical filled pool water flooded my entire backyard and the water came within inches of spilling into the pond.
Not a stupid thing but it relates

We had koi in a kiddie pool where water held the sides in place by pushing out. Our cat liked to drink from it but let a bit of water out each time he put his weight on the pool edge. One day a curious koi nipped the cats nose as he was drinking. End of problem.

Ask a Question