Feeding fish

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I watch two things, to determine when to stop feeding. Water temperature and their lack of interest in food.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
They advise to stop feeding when the temperature gets down to 10c and bellow and to restart again in the spring when the temperature goes above that of 10c again for an extended period

Dave

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
I have already started to slow down the amount of feeding and then I will switch to a wheat germ blend food when the temperature drops to between 60-65 degrees. The fish will slowly start to seem uninterested in eating (or at least not seem to be interested in eating as much as normal) as it gets colder. Once the temperature of the pond water gets to 50 degrees I stop feeding all together.

I must admit last year we had a very mild winter and I did lightly feed the fish a few times through out the season.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
I guess I'll need to get a pond thermometer. Our outside air temperature last night got to 39 degrees F and the high today is 55. I put my hand in the water this morning and it definitely felt cold. Definitely colder than water coming out of the hose. However, as soon as the sun hit the water the fish were VERY actively rooting around for algae. I don't feed them very much--I'm still very new to this pond hobby (we bought a house that had an abandoned pond that may never have been used for fish) and haven't been able to remove all the rocks on the bottom yet so I'm concerned about waste and sludge from overfeeding. At the same time, the activity of the fish tells me they are still very interested in food.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I live in an area where the average temp is 70 and the pond water rarely gets below 55F (12-13c). Should I stop feeding them during the wnter months or just cut back on the amount?

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I live in an area where the average temp is 70 and the pond water rarely gets below 55F (12-13c). Should I stop feeding them during the wnter months or just cut back on the amount?

For years the admonition to stop feeding fish when the water temperature drops below 10C/50F was accepted as a rule 'chiseled in stone'. Research in recent years has, however, resulted in this 'rule' being strongly questioned. It has been proven that carp (Koi) continue to forage for food even at temperatures as low as 33.5F/1C.
The present day thinking, based on this scientific research, is to follow the lead of the fish. If they appear hungry, feed them. Only, as temperatures drop, reduce the amount and the frequency of feeding until weather conditions (ice-over) prevent any feeding at all.

Ask a Question