What are your thoughts on global warming?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
The first study is from a presentation given October 14 2016.
It stands to reason that without the sun, we would have no global warming, so if the sun's activity is reduced, the effects of elevated CO2 levels would not matter.
Here is a link to the report, I'm still trying to figure out how to translate it.
http://www.gao.spb.ru/russian/publ-s/conf_2016/conf_2016.pdf

You can copy and paste into Google Translate https://translate.google.com/

I have used this before to get the gist of a document. The translation always leaves something to be desired, however.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Google Translate tells me the document is too large, and MS Word just freezes up on me.
I'm going to keep trying though. I think it could be interesting.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Google Translate tells me the document is too large, and MS Word just freezes up on me.
I'm going to keep trying though. I think it could be interesting.

I translate paragraph by paragraph. It takes longer, but I have had success.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
A new study from the Russian Academy of Sciences Pulkovo Observatory in St. Petersburg is claiming that a mini ice age (duration of 10 years) is not far away:

http://business.financialpost.com/f...ger-than-ever-and-we-couldnt-be-less-prepared
(I'm trying to find the actual russian study and translate it)

Also, from a european study in 2015 the same prediction:
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2015/jul/12/mini-ice-age-likely-from-2030-to-2040-european-sci/

http://www.iflscience.com/environment/mini-ice-age-not-reason-ignore-global-warming/

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada

Ha! ;)

There are so many conditions to consider with regards to our climate, I find it interesting to learn as much as I can.

There is this statement that I find positive though:

However, Zharkova ends with a word of warning: not about the cold but about humanity's attitude toward the environment during the minimum. We must not ignore the effects of global warming and assume that it isn't happening. “The Sun buys us time to stop these carbon emissions,” Zharkova says. The next minimum might give the Earth a chance to reduce adverse effects from global warming.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
We need to harness more water power .They use it here in Danville and they use it in Martinsville and we don't have street lights and no need for them

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Why do I find myself getting into Facebook arguments, where I'm the one supporting carbon tax?
I should probably increase the security around our property...:cautious:

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
I've recently learned that there are still people and native communities in rural locations using coal fired burners, with no filters whatsoever on the exhaust. The people using them are complaining that because of our carbon tax, they will have to pay more to drive into the city.
Our carbon tax system is designed to pay these people an incentive to switch to an alternative fuel but they're still unhappy.
Frustrating.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
People, as a general rule, do not particularly like change unless they can see an instant benefit. This is especially true of many of those living in rural areas. 'New-fangled' things are not readily accepted even with an incentive attached.

Reaction score
Anyone see The nuclear option on PBS last night? Bill Gates has come up with a nuclear power plant that uses waste uranium. We have enough at one site to provide all the electricity the country would need in the next 700 years. Guess what the plant is being built in China because of all the regulations in the US. All the talk about C02 and they can't get something like this through.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question