What do you use for biofall media?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Ah - I do use koi clay, that's right! My fish love it and somehow it adds a bit of "sparkle" to the water.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Hi All
Well she flipped again. Started about a week ago. Deep green algae in stream and waterfall started to change color and disappear and then the water started to cloud up. Now the water is back to about a foot visibility and the stream rocks are visible. Got the salinity down to 0.2. Plants are doing fantastic. Hyacinth's are flowering and spreading and I got flowers on the lilies in the past day or two. I guess this is the way its going to be for a while. My parameters are great except for PH being on the high side.
IMG_6844.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Yes. Im happy with it. Looks a lot nicer when the water is clear but that's ok. Tadpoles are now turning to frogs. Pretty cool stuff. I have birds coming every few minutes to drink and some bathe in stream. Dragon flies hanging around and the craziest thing yet happened a few days ago. I was bent over the bog area picking out some dead vegetation when a ground hog trotted by. Never saw one of those anywhere near my house. Don't know how it got in my yard since my fence is flush to the ground. I looked around the perimeter for a way under or a hole where it came from and found none.It headed in the direction of a large shed in the corner (not the one next to my pond) where it may have found a small space to get under the fence. Or it could have gone under that shed. Have not seen it since and hope I don't again. I don't mind it passing through but I don't want it making my yard home. I don't think Brutus would care for it either.lol Plants are growing around pond really well also. Really looking forward to this pond maturing and settling down.
IMG_6846 (1).JPG
IMG_6533.JPG

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
doggie patrol is always great .Takes awhile for the pond to really get going and every year at the beginning of the season for the same problems .I hope you got a deicer for your pond .I bought an extra one as dr foster and smith had them really cheap.Last year in freezing temps I tried to chase a cat and he snapped the wire .Amazing it could have gotten that cold to do that .but you never know

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Sisssy
I don't have a deicer but I do move the air diffuser up to a foot below the surface. That kept a small hole in the ice except for a day or two in January. Thanks guys, I'm learning everyday and becoming more patient and I'm not a patient guy. Just sucks telling people who see it that it was crystal clear last week. They look at me like "sure it was".Lol

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Insane!!! Came out this am and it cleared significantly, not completely but I can see the bottom which is 4ft. I added clay yesterday afternoon but I don't think that would clear algae. I have added clay before during a algae bloom and it didn't change anything. Stream is cleaner, almost all the string algae is gone. If it continues to clear that would be about a week that ill have green water compared to a month during the last cycle. Ill take it.lol
IMG_6855.JPG

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
deicer keeps a hole open and sometimes air can super cool the water

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@SEKCOBRA My water isn’t super clear, but I can see almost 1/2 way down. I added clay yesterday (first time this summer), and was just out looking at the pond.......instant clear water! Which is odd, because it usually takes a couple of days.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Glad to hear the pond is clearing and things are starting to thrive in the pond.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Thanks everyone. Walked out this am and its crystal clear. Curious to see how long it lasts before it flips again. Strange how that works. Last time this flipped the stream and waterfall looked like I scrubbed them with peroxide.. There was zero green or dirt on anything. A few more days and it will be there. Then a few weeks later algae began to form on the rocks where the water hit them the hardest. Weird. Anyway I'll enjoy the clear water while I have it. lol.

Ask a Question