what equipment is needed?

Reaction score
I'm trying to make a check list for things i need when i get this koi pond going. bottom drains - pvc (i assume?) - settlement tank - proper pump for the size. I've read about a "uav sterilizer"? skimmers i've heard are really nice but are they necassary seeing as i have no trees close by (leaf debris)? What else might i need? suggestions on brands, supply ordering sites, or anything else is DEFINITELY welcome!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Are you going to have a gravity fed system or a pump feed system? You should dig the hole so you know about what to buy. Because some people say their going to build a 2000 gaL pond and end up with 5000 gals and vice-versa.
Then you would need bottom drain or drains,
liner underlayment of some kind and then buy liner and skimmer.
The last thing you want to buy are the pumps.

Reaction score
I'm still playing with the pond shape and that's changing the gaL amount. which you would suggest on the gravity or pump? or does that just depend on size? and (i may be reading your reply wrong) the bottoms drains may not be necassary?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Myself I wouldn't do anything but gravity.
With pump fed filters you would grind up a lot of poo from a bottom drain.
x-Adam-x said:
I'm still playing with the pond shape and that's changing the gaL amount. which you would suggest on the gravity or pump? or does that just depend on size? and (i may be reading your reply wrong) the bottoms drains may not be necassary?

Ask a Question