What is this plant called

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Hello I have this plant for 3 years. I'd like to add a few more but can't remember what its called. It's about a foot tall and I'm guessing that's about as tall as it gets which is perfect because my pond is kind of small.
Thanks

Attachments

• 20210402_100415.jpg
    20210402_100415.jpg
    254.2 KB · Views: 70

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I think:

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
It is a sweet flag and if I were you I'd "add" a few by dividing this one. Once you have a well established plant that you like, no need to buy more.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Hi and thank you. I don't have much of a green thumb so this may sound silly but how would I go about that. I don't want to kill it by accident. Is it as simple as just pulling it apart?

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Hi and thank you. I don't have much of a green thumb so this may sound silly but how would I go about that. I don't want to kill it by accident. Is it as simple as just pulling it apart?
yes just pull it apart or a sharp knife if it does not pull apart easy. Stick in litter or pea gravel or whatever and it will grow well.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
It is a slow spreader so if you want to keep that big clump buy some more. Or just take off some small pieces around the edges.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Thanks Addy I like the size of it and your right it does spread slow which I really like. I think in a few weeks I'll go out to the water garden shop and grab a few more.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Here's the only thing I would take into consideration - it will eventually start to die off in the middle. They spread by forming a bigger and bigger ring. So by dividing it now, you'll actually make the one you have look better for longer. I've sometimes dug these up and just plopped the whole thing back into the middle where it started. And if you let it get TOO big, getting it out to divide it will become nearly impossible.

Just some things to think about!

Ask a Question