When to plant?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Does anyone have any ideas of how early you can begin planting aquatic plants specifically pickerel and Cardinal flower in zone 5/6

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
No idea, but I go by when my regular plants are starting to green up. I’m in zone 8, and we’ve had “planting weather” for the past few weeks.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Okay because a lot of the plant nurseries don’t want to ship till the end of May and I wasn’t sure if this is more about it actually being to cold or just them being extra cautious in case of an unexpected cold snap. I will definitely wait a few more weeks but no all the way till May.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Generally your nurseries aren't going to ship until closer to the average last frost date in your area. Even for hardy plants, if they have been acclimated to & started growing in a greenhouse (rather than being subjected to 'normal' Spring fluctuations of temperature) the foliage may be more tender than normal & could suffer damage in a late cold snap. Although, cardinal flower & pickerel rush are pretty darn tough, so I wouldn't be as worried about them.

Ask a Question