What is wrong with this fish?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
This goldfish is just laying sideways on the bottom of the pond. After slightly touching it it swims away then does the same thing again.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I wouldn't act too quickly. Moving a fish can be stressful.

What else is going on in your pond right now. What the temperature? Has anything changed? New fish? Did you shut anything down for winter? It could just be the fish going into a winter phase, or it could be that it's sick but I would recommend you watch and see what happens before you taking any action. Assuming there's no sign of injury or infection there really isn't much you can do for the fish at this point anyway.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I did add 5 new fish and this is one of them.The pond is in good condition but i am afraid if this one fish is sick i may be putting all of the others in danger.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
That is always a possibility - hence the reason most folks recommend you quarantine all new fish before adding them to the pond. But in any case, that damage is already done if it is infected. Removing it now is closing the barn door when the horse is already gone.

However, my money is on the fact you just got a sick or weak fish that's having a hard adjustment to the new environment. It may or may not make it through the transition. Did you acclimate the new fish before adding them?

Ask a Question