What size pump?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Last year, I had lots of questions about placing and creating our pond and bog, and received a lot of help. Thank you! Now that they're dug, lined, and filled, I have questions about the mechanicals. The main pond is about 12 x 12 x 2 feet deep. The upper pond/bog is about 6 x 6 x 1 foot deep, with an extra foot of height above the water level. The plan is to have a submerged pump and very few plants in the main pond, then send water up through a proper hose to the upper pond. The upper pond will be heavily planted, and the idea is to have the water move through the plants for filtration before it spills over into a small stream (about 9' long) and creates a waterfall into the main pond. At this time, we do not have a system of pvc pipes or gravel in the bog (husband's preference). The bog will be the only filter, and we don't intend to have fish.

How do we choose an appropriate pump for this setup? If I understand correctly, we want the water to move very slowly through the bog to get the benefits of bio-filtration. But of course we want to be propelling water through the bog towards the stream and waterfall. So how do these competing interests get balanced in selecting the right sized pump?

Many thanks for your patience... in explaining in words of one syllable

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
I found a pond volume calculator online and it tells me that a 12 foot by 12 foot by 2 foot deep pond would have a volume of 2154 gallons. (This was with no step, just a straight drop off).

With a step or gradual drop off it would be closer to 1077 gallons.

The bog area would be 269 gallons if straight drop offs, and 135 with a step.

A stream would add more water to the above calculations.

((Here is a link to the calculator I used https://www.thepondguy.com/pond-calculator))

They also have a calculator for how big of a pump to get taking the distance of hose it is pumping through and the height it is being raised up to. See what it suggests for your conditions.

Would you consider minnows or mosquito fish if you do not want goldfish? They will add fertilizer for your plants and eat insects and algae.

JRS

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Do you have mosquitos in your area? Assuming you do not want to over winter fish?

Nice calculators and seems like a moot point for you, but do not heed the the koi stocking level recommendations, must be based on baby koi that do not grow, 500 gallons=5 koi, 2000=20 koi

Reaction score
Country
United States
I found a pond volume calculator online and it tells me that a 12 foot by 12 foot by 2 foot deep pond would have a volume of 2154 gallons. (This was with no step, just a straight drop off).

With a step or gradual drop off it would be closer to 1077 gallons.

The bog area would be 269 gallons if straight drop offs, and 135 with a step.

A stream would add more water to the above calculations.

((Here is a link to the calculator I used https://www.thepondguy.com/pond-calculator))

They also have a calculator for how big of a pump to get taking the distance of hose it is pumping through and the height it is being raised up to. See what it suggests for your conditions.

Would you consider minnows or mosquito fish if you do not want goldfish? They will add fertilizer for your plants and eat insects and algae.
Thank you for this. We would consider fish, but first we're interested in seeing what sorts of frogs, toads, and other wildlife are naturally attracted to the pond.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Do you have mosquitos in your area? Assuming you do not want to over winter fish?

Nice calculators and seems like a moot point for you, but do not heed the the koi stocking level recommendations, must be based on baby koi that do not grow, 500 gallons=5 koi, 2000=20 koi
Yes we definitely have mosquitoes around here! I hoped that having moving water would address the problem of their beastly larvae, but if that's not enough we'll happily bring in some small low-maintenance fish.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I think there may be a bit of confusion . while yes we want slow flow through the bog and alow the bacteria and plants roots time to do there thing. The bog in your discription is one that would be a 1 foot deep " i would prefer deeper" filled with 3/4 river rock or 3/8" pea stone. this sits on a manifold that is evenly spaced across the bottom of the bog and the water raises up through the gravel slowly. and then as it raises it comes in contact with the roots of the plants, {bottom up} koi don't even go after any insects but if they happen to bite at a spot and there was eggs there per say yeah well they're a gonner.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Thank you for this. We would consider fish, but first we're interested in seeing what sorts of frogs, toads, and other wildlife are naturally attracted to the pond.
Welcome and congrats on your progress. You'll find lots of help here - tons of reference material to pour through and good advice too. I found this one especially helpful: https://www.gardenpondforum.com/thr...-filter-eco-filter-wetland-filter.6894/unread

As for mosquitos, I use this

Mosquito Dunks

and it works fine and is safe for my dogs to continue to drink the pond water. Consider the lowly goldfish - they stay small, can withstand winter, come in lots of styles and colors and will fertilize your plants :)

Please post some pics when you can.

Ask a Question