sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
So that means we have to watch out for dragon flies too ,geeze ,whats next .I just thought maybe it was from trying to mate like people said ,as they could be chasing each other .Why would a dragon fly sting a fish and the larve can do that also.gosh makes you think .I don't want it to happen again .

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The larvae might bite a large fish, no personnel knowledge, their prey is usually critters smaller than them. They are welcome to live here, love the reduction of mosquitoes and flies.​

How are Dragonflies beneficial?
Adult dragonflies eat other flying insects, particularly midges and mosquitoes. They also will eat butterflies, moths and smaller dragonflies. There is one Asian species which eats spiders from their webs! The larvae, which live in water, eat almost anything living that is smaller than themselves. The larger dragonfly larvae are known to catch and eat small fish or fry. Usually they eat bloodworms or other aquatic insect larvae.
What enemies do Dragonflies have?
Dragonflies do have enemies. Among the species that catch and eat adult dragonflies and damselflies are birds (e.g. Wagtails and Hobbies), Spiders (many damselflies are caught in webs), Frogs, and larger species of dragonflies (which catch and eat other dragonflies and damselflies).
In the larval stage, which is spent underwater, they are preyed on by fish, frogs, toads and newts, and other water invertebrates. Their defenses include their excellent eyesight and flying skills which can help them to evade capture. Some are colored black and yellow, or black and red, which is the universal warning coloration and may deter some of the bird predators.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
I get bit maybe once a week in Summer, from dragonfly lurking in shallow warm water, they are ambush predators among pond plant foliage. It would be logical that amorous, or just plain grazing fish would bump into and be savaged if they met a stroppy larvae in shallow water. A hornet sting is mild by comparison

Regards, andy
http://www.flickr.com/photos/21940871@N06/
http://swglist.wordpress.com/

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
ouch............will do my best to keep my tender little ankles away from those suckers.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
I never knew that dragonfly nymphs bit like that. I had something last year bite me while I was working in the pond and it stung like all get out. But it didn't leave much of a mark other than a red spot that cleared and went away within a few hours. Unlike the spider bite that I go when pressure washing the house. I still have a scare where that thing bit me!

minnowman

minnowman
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9a
Andy& Larkin, what you've experienced is probably the sting of the water scorpion. They look like a brown walking stick insect and have a very painful, but short lived sting. I've handled many dragonfly nymphs without a single sting.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
I originally got a pair of shubunkins... one of them jumped out of the pond within the first couple weeks. The other I have had for three years now. I think we picked up 6 new shubunkins last Summer for the new pond? I have not had a problem with any of them yet.

My experience is that comets and shubunkins have the same likeliness of getting themselves out of the water during spawning. They are all so busy trying to catch the girl that they are unaware of anything else (including the fact that they've pushed the girl out of the pond, or that they've wedged her so far under a rock that she's dying ... my girl had it very rough last Summer!). All you can do is keep an eye on them when they're being rambunctious, and hope you catch any mishaps.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I had to look them up, and yep I have seen those suckers in and around the pond. The one almost looks like a walking stick

Not my photos:

Ranatra.jpg

imagesqtbnANd9GcQT1wcZrXl9iz8KQ9IFS.jpg

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Never seen those buggers around here. Nothing ever bites me when in my pond and I hope it stays that way....................well except the fish picking at the tiny hairs on my legs :LOL:

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have not been bit either jw, just the fish nibbling on the legs when I am in their world.

Reaction score
Shdwdrgn,

I personally like the idea of putting native fishes (local boys and girls) in the pond. Of course, you might understand by now that I am working on a fishing bait pond rather than an ornamental fish pond, but there are several advantageous perks with native fish. Like you originally pondered, they should be more hardy for your local climate because they are used to it. They also live together in the wild, naturally, so if the pond was filled with nothing but wild fish, you are not putting a white bunny from a pet shop in a cage with a coyote if you understand what I mean.

Growing up as an avid, inquisitive, outdoor boy on the river (my parents had a river cabin), I was especially drawn to the natural critters in my own habitat. Therefore, I brought all the really cool species home with me for study. For pets and just because I could without paying a pet shop for them. Of course, at that time, I was not creating an outdoor pond, I was putting them all in an aquarium in my room.

I might say that I am raising bullheads and bluegills and sunfish, etc for bait to go fishing. But, to be honest, I just like to sit and look into the bait tank and watch my fish, just like I did as a kid.

If you are as interested as I am in this way, get yourself a National Audubon Society book of North American Fishes. The National Audubon Society has a long series of nature guides. These are excellent books to have in your library. They have books on fishes, birds, reptiles, rocks, insects, amphibians, mushrooms and trees and all sorts of God's creatures. They are extremely in depth research books. These are not reading books - story books, they are field guides for those who are very serious about biology, ecology and science. If you have young kids who have an interest in nature, these are awesome gifts. They will make you drool! I have several at my cabin. Expressly one for fishes and one for birds and one for mushrooms and one for trees.

Now, personally, I think that Gar are really quite interesting. Pike. Bullheads and other catfish and bluegills. Drum and common carp. Trout. Then there are shad and alewife and don't forget all the minnows. I happen to love the red shiners. Oh, and don't forget the river suckers (like the redhorse sucker) and even American eels.

You could build an entire ecosystem from native critters and fishes and create a beautiful pond. You probably wouldn't want to mix these species with expensive Koi, and they aren't as colorful as Koi. But, you have to weigh the pros and cons and what you want your pond for and how you want it to look. The neighbors really young kids get more fun out of my bait tank then they would out of a Koi pond. That's the fun to me. They think it's a blast to net one of my fishes up and look at it, or to toss bugs in the water and see the fish ravage them. The kids will stand over my bait tank and play with the fish for hours. I don't think that such activity would be healthy for Koi or even goldfish of any sort. But, most native fishes are very tough and durable.

Watching the kids have fun playing in my bait tank at the river is just as rewarding to me as any experience I have for myself, if not more. I wish I could describe how if feels inside when the little kids come over, knock on my cabin door and ask me if they can play in my fish tank and then, to hear the girls scream and the boys giggle! I know that they're pulling frogs out of the tank and putting them down their sister's or cousin's shirt! There is no way that I could not smile and not giggle myself! I just let them play and enjoy the experience. Then, I enjoy the feeling inside.

Think about it for a little while. It's a beautiful experience and a wondrous feeling in your heart! What good is a pond that you cannot play in?

Gordy

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
My friend up the road just got a bunch of 9 - 12" trout to put in her huge koi/goldfish/bluegill pond. She's gonna fish for them when they get a bit bigger!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Humm how is she going to tell the koi and goldies to not take the bait and fish hook?

Ask a Question