j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Said she will use worms but I though the koi/goldies would take those also.She said the trout are much faster than the slow big ole koi tho. So guess she will have to see what happens.

Reaction score
My friend up the road just got a bunch of 9 - 12" trout to put in her huge koi/goldfish/bluegill pond. She's gonna fish for them when they get a bit bigger!
Depending on the particulars of her pond and the exact species of trout there's a good chance that they won't survive the summer. I remember a pond where I grew up that was stocked in April with Rainbow Trout for a fishing contest held in May. In August you could wade out and hand catch O2 deprived Trout that were slowly skimming the surface trying to breathe. This was/is a fairly good sized pond, at least 150' x 75' and as deep as 6'. Unless you're located in a much cooler area than suburban Phila or the pond has water flowing through it, Trout may not have been the best choice. Brown Trout are the most tolerant of warmer temps, but not like Sunfish, Bass, etc. I guess time will tell!

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Just out of curiosity, what resources are available for purchasing fish? I assumed I would go to a local pet store for mine, but that would only be for goldfish. Is mail order a reliable option?

Also, as for finding native fish: I've been to my state's wildlife & fisheries page to see what is "native," but how do you know which fish will adapt well to pond life? Would assume size to be a consideration, as well as how docile they are, and feeding habits.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Depending on the particulars of her pond and the exact species of trout there's a good chance that they won't survive the summer. I remember a pond where I grew up that was stocked in April with Rainbow Trout for a fishing contest held in May. In August you could wade out and hand catch O2 deprived Trout that were slowly skimming the surface trying to breathe. This was/is a fairly good sized pond, at least 150' x 75' and as deep as 6'. Unless you're located in a much cooler area than suburban Phila or the pond has water flowing through it, Trout may not have been the best choice. Brown Trout are the most tolerant of warmer temps, but not like Sunfish, Bass, etc. I guess time will tell!

We don't get very warm here at all so I think they should be ok. She bought them from a place just over in the next town that raises them to sell for ponds etc. Her pond is 8ft deep and don't know the measurements of the length and width but it is huge!

Here's a picture of the pond:

IMG_0900.jpg

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
The pond goes right under that sun room floor there and the room has a heated floor so in winter all the fish congregate under there to enjoy the warmth! Here is a newer photo and she's done a lot w/ plants around the edge now,did some grass landscaping and adding some side pool areas and that big gray tub is gone now and she's got some kind of big huge dug out filter system w/ big brushes and panels w/ an underground connection to the big pond. Settlement chamber maybe? She's planning a big stream and an area for her turtles outside the pond area w/ a place all there own. A bobcat pen is just a short way from the pond.

IMG_1819-1.jpg

JessiesbobcatCosey.jpg

Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, what resources are available for purchasing fish? I assumed I would go to a local pet store for mine, but that would only be for goldfish. Is mail order a reliable option?

Also, as for finding native fish: I've been to my state's wildlife & fisheries page to see what is "native," but how do you know which fish will adapt well to pond life? Would assume size to be a consideration, as well as how docile they are, and feeding habits.
All of the factors you mention come into play. Generally speaking Centrarchids like Sunfish and Bass tend to be a bit territorial as well as predatory on anything they can swallow. Members of the Perch family are less aggressive but still very predatory. Native Catfish are peaceful enough but you need to be sure that the "Bullhead" you have that gets a foot doesn't turn out to be a Flathead that get 3'+! If you stick with baitfish you'll avoid the issues with larger fish, and some plain old minnows aren't so plain when they color up. One thing to keep in mind is the rules of your state. Here in PA as long as a fish is taken legally in regards to licensing, size, and season you can do whatever you want with it. Some states do have much more restrictive rules so ask!

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
NEPTUNE -- Thanks for the reply. Looks like LA's laws are similar to yours with regard to procurement. But, gosh, don't know enough about fish to trust just WHAT I had! LOL! Guess I'll stick with goldfish when the time comes :) . But have always been a fan of catfish....

ididntdoit99

ididntdoit99
Reaction score
The pond goes right under that sun room floor there and the room has a heated floor so in winter all the fish congregate under there to enjoy the warmth! Here is a newer photo and she's done a lot w/ plants around the edge now,did some grass landscaping and adding some side pool areas and that big gray tub is gone now and she's got some kind of big huge dug out filter system w/ big brushes and panels w/ an underground connection to the big pond. Settlement chamber maybe? She's planning a big stream and an area for her turtles outside the pond area w/ a place all there own. A bobcat pen is just a short way from the pond.

Great, now I have to lift up my house to put a pond underneath it, lol. I don't think I have a jack that big.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
@catfishnut - There are certainly a lot of different reasons to keep native fish. While I do enjoy my goldfish and koi, to me the pond felt very unnatural just having the one type of fish in it, and you can't generally go to your local fish store and pick up much that would survive a full-blown Winter. I'm crossing my fingers that the weather loaches do well and are much more visible this coming year. And now that the pond is really established, I'm going to try and really get stocked up on more rosy-red minnows. If I can just find a source for something like those greenside darters, and pick up a batch of leopard frog tadpoles, I think I'll have a good variety to watch in the pond.

@mmathis - Mostly its a matter of research. I read up first on what temperatures a species can survive, and then on what they like to eat. Finally you want to check out how their native waters correspond with your pond. For instance, part of my interest in the darters is that they are bottom-dwellers from rivers. They would likely be found in areas on my pond that the goldfish are not interested in, and their movement in those areas will help stir up any decaying matter that might try to settle in. The same for the rosy-reds... they like hiding under the larger rocks and clean out those areas. Without the rosies, I would have a mess of decaying plants in my rocks around the edges. This is the thoughts behind my desire for a variety of fish -- different species will occupy different regions of the pond, eating different types of foods, and hopefully helping to establish an even more natural overall balance.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Have you checked about fish farms online in your area .I know thats how I found my koi farm I go to in NC .I googled and there it was .He also stocks big ponds with native fish as he has about 6 large ponds on the property beside the koi and goldfish in the large tanks inside a green house .It is only 15 minutes from my house

They have tons of pond plants and also grow plants for commercial selling

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Jw I just noticed how they grew plants in there block and since the inside wall of my pond has concrete block filled with dirt I may try growing plants in them instead of covering them with a board ,My try liriope in them .I would just use the boards under the bridge .

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Yep sissy that works great putting them in the blocks for her and should do fine for you also.

Reaction score
Harsh winters aren't a problem here in Florida, but when I lived in New Jersey I had a pond with goldfish in it and they did OK so long as I made sure a hole in the ice was kept open so that gases created by decay could escape. I used hot water when necessary but I think an aquarium heater can be used to keep the hole open.

I think using native fish is a fine idea. I have lots of Florida Flags (Jordanella floridae), a small fish native to this area. A speaker at my Florida Native Plant Society meeting gave everyone three of them in a plastic bag with some cabomba (which they made short work of) and I now have a considerable population. I would like to have other local species, and was very interested to learn from you that some may be available in the aquarium trade.

Someone once told me that dragonfly larvae gobble more mosquito larvae than gambusia. I have no fish in my upper pond, and I never see wrigglers in it, so maybe the dragonflies are taking care of them.

Best of luck with your icey pond!

Ask a Question