j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Maybe right after they join a sound effect (course they would have to have speakers on) announcing to them to please post in the intro thread or a wiggling banner of some sort w/ the same effect and then something thanking them for doing so..................just an off the wall thought :lol:

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
programming jw! nice idea. I always have my sound off though.

Or when they join have that message sent to them, have in big letters PLEASE POST AN INTRODUCTION!

Reaction score
Another forum that I am on has a like button below each post.....kind of like your thanks button and similar to Facebook's like button....it's a fun feature and the person's post you liked gets a notification.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
CountryPond said:
Another forum that I am on has a like button below each post.....kind of like your thanks button and similar to Facebook's like button....it's a fun feature and the person's post you liked gets a notification.

That's something I'm toying with at the moment, as it may be more appropriate than the Thanks button. I'm seeing if there's a way to manage reputation and have this sort of feature - it should be possible :lol:.

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
taherrmann4 said:
This may or may not be something you can do but what about a mobile app for the forum. Then I could keep up with you guys while I am out and about or in my own backyard. Would also be neat to be out in your yard and be able to post a photo from your phone to a thread. Here is a link to one from another forum I am on.

http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/off-topic/209375-android-users-autoguide-app-available-other/

Interesting... I'll add that to the list! :lol:

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
What about a link at the top of the home page of GPF that would link you to the new Garden Enthusiast forum that will be coming down the road. It would help us maybe promote the new forum and if you could do it make so if we log into one that it will automatically log is into the other.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
taherrmann4 said:
What about a link at the top of the home page of GPF that would link you to the new Garden Enthusiast forum that will be coming down the road. It would help us maybe promote the new forum and if you could do it make so if we log into one that it will automatically log is into the other.

The gardening forum may be a little later than I hoped, as I'm concentrating on GPF instead (as I'm waiting for some new forum software) - however it should be possible to link the two, so once it's in place I'll do just that :lol:.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Is ok whenever you get around to it. Make it a winter introduction when things are slower.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks for all of the replies :regular_waving_emot

Any other suggestions or ideas that would make the site a better place? The test software is going well and it retains much of the look of this site, I hope to have something to show in the next couple of weeks :regular_waving_emot

Reaction score
hello all, it just occurred to me that most new people and even some not so new people often ask what a particular term or terminology means. was wondering if it's possible to create a new category under forums called something like pond terminology? that way everything is listed in one place and a person doesn't have to go from forum to forum to find their answer as it will be pinned there. also don't know how easy it would be to modify or add to an existing topic instead of creating another thread under the same classification. you could also recommend everyone to browse through that before posting a question, not that that will eliminate the same topic being brought up multiple times on threads but it might help.

Andre
i looked through the topics but i didn't think this concept was mentioned

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
i think i'd rather have the members only list show as the default users list instead of all users. then we'd click to see what nonmembers are looking at rather having to click to see what members are. myself, i dont much care about what non members are looking at, because we'd never know whothey are & cant communicate with them anyways. just sayin'...
and maybe a glossary or dictionary of sorts posted in the beginners section may not be a bad idea, like Don't ask suggested.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
[quote name='don't ask' timestamp='1342376743' post='130827']
hello all, it just occurred to me that most new people and even some not so new people often ask what a particular term or terminology means. was wondering if it's possible to create a new category under forums called something like pond terminology? that way everything is listed in one place and a person doesn't have to go from forum to forum to find their answer as it will be pinned there. also don't know how easy it would be to modify or add to an existing topic instead of creating another thread under the same classification. you could also recommend everyone to browse through that before posting a question, not that that will eliminate the same topic being brought up multiple times on threads but it might help.

Andre
i looked through the topics but i didn't think this concept was mentioned
[/quote]

A list of terminology would certainly been a great idea! Things are still a bit manic here (we moved house about 6 weeks ago) but I'll definitely put it on our list of things to look into. We would have to consider where the information would come from, but I'm sure it will be possible.

Reaction score
not sure how much i would or can be but am willing to try...and we understand your plight of trying to juggle so many tasks.. we are patient, the sight as far as i can tell runs very smoothly, plus summertime i would think most members are out and about and don't have or make but so much time for the forum, but would think come late summer to fall things will ramp up even more... i already have problems trying to keep up with all the posts and comments... :)

Ask a Question