When can I do my spring cleaning?

Reaction score
My pond is a mess. There's leaves, algae, and I didn't cut my plants last fall. Do I have to wait until the the water is in the steady 40's or 50's so I don't disturb the fish? It was really warm today and I'm itching to clean up. I'll prepare better this fall.

Also, I potted my plants in lava rock. I probably should have used something different. When can I repot them in something different? What should I use in the pots?
IS IT SPRING YET???
Thanks,
Mike

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You could pot them in pea gravel, or just stick them in rocks in your pond. They can also just be bare rooted. You could cut your plants now, most of them will just be dead stuff. I don't think it would bother your fish. Are they koi or goldies?

Reaction score
I have 4 koi. They were active yesterday and are moving around this morning. But it's going to get cold again.
What do you think about sticking a net in there and scooping up leaves? What about brushing the algae off of the sides? Would that "wake" them up too much?

Thanks,
Mike

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I really don't know about koi, but it would seem that you should be able to gently net leaves off the bottom. I would leave the algae alone at this time.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I would get leaves out now . when its cold just move the net slower and check for fish ,
Its the only time i catch mine .

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Yep I'd get those leaves out. All they will do is rot and mess up your water chemistry when they decompose. The algae on the sides is what you want to keep. Fish like to nibble on it and it makes for a more pleasing natural effect to look at rather than just the black rubber liner :cool:

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses.
SLOWLY get the leaves out and leave the algae. I was afraid I would shock the fish.
Thanks again,
Mike

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Maybe not too slowly- Originally from your area so I keep an eye on the weather there. Looks like you may freeze back over this weekend! We had 3 days of 80s but they are calling for snow Monday.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Slowly in the sense of dipping the net gently, not slowly in the sense of many many days lol.

I had over 6 inches of ice two days ago, iced over yesterday, ice is totally gone today. But cold is coming back.................

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I know- water temps up to 60 yesterday so I'm itching to start my pumps but I'm going to wait one more week and see what the weather does.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My water temp is 41 today, was 34 yesterday. But with snow predicted on tuesday I am sure it will be dropping again...........lol

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Ice on the pond this morning but now it's nice and sunny and should be in the 50's today hopefully :cool:

Reaction score
My hands are freeeeeeezing:cold:. That water is cold!!!!
I bought a net this morning and I scooped a lot of leaves and algae out. I also cut a few plants down. I didn't realize how bad it was. It's looking much better but I still have more to clean out.
I didn't see any fish. I guess they were content staying in their hiding places. I hope I didn't scoop up any babies up.
I also bought some baskets for some plants. Do you think the baskets are better than the solid pots? When is it a good time to repot?

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Baskets let more water flow through. Re-potting can be done (well I do) basically at any time. You might want to wait until it is a little warmer, so the plants don't get stressed. I have moved plants mid summer, mid winter (if the ground is not frozen) and they have all done well.

JoaniePA

Joanie
Reaction score
I keep a pond net laying on the surface of the pond all winter. Last year I had it domed, but the snow collapsed it so this year I just let it rest on the surface. I went out on Friday when the air temp went to near 70 and melted everything, and I got all the accumulated leaves off of the net that had frozen into it. For one day my pond looked great.. the fishies were coming to the surface and it seemed that spring was just a few days away. Well yesterday the temps dropped again and we had up to 60 mph gusts. all the loose leaves in our neighborhood seem to have found the pond, so today it is once again covered with leaves! LOL! Later on I'll get out and lift the net again to get them off. I'm impatient to get things running again and seeing the fish is really heartening. But I think once the leaves are off again I'll just do my spring shopping for filter pads, spring food, plant sticks, etc. and leave the pond alone until I see the iris shoots coming above the surface!

Joanie

Ask a Question