When do you need to worry about algae?

Reaction score
Country
United States
to save @GBBUDD from making the joke: "When you actually HAVE a pond". I know, I know...

But seriously, I know that plants fight/reduce the algae by consuming the nutrients, creating a low-nutrient environment and essentially starving the algae out. But is there a point at which the algae will actually choke out and kill the plants instead? Like if the plant is 50% covered by algae? 70%? What does your experience and/or research say?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Sure over feed over stock and under filter your pond and no amount of plants can save your pond. It's a ballance . A bog will not save a bad stewart

Reaction score
Country
United States
Sure over feed over stock and under filter your pond and no amount of plants can save your pond. It's a ballance . A bog will not save a bad stewart
absolutely true. You need to be careful and mindful. I'm looking more for some kind of physical marker though so that when my pond is in and I'm getting nervous in the spring I know when to move from "Just wait it out, the plants aren't fully awake yet" to "Better get more plants or give away some fish." or dose some hydrogen peroxide. or some other form of remediation.

JRS

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
If the new plant growth is not outpacing the algae then you may have a problem. A lot depends on your circumstances and the water temp. In the spring, the algae gets going pretty good. The lilies in the pond and cattails in my bog are still waking up. The fish, due to the colder water temps also are not feeding much. Once the everything warms up nice, the fish work on the algae, assuming they are not overfed, the lilies get their leaves to the surface, and the algae is not an issue anymore in my pond.

Do you have specific plants in mind?

Reaction score
Country
United States
So far, I think I want to try these:
Iris
Marsh Marigolds
Parrot's Feather (maybe? Not sure on this one)
Water Forget-me-nots
Lupines
Daylillies
Maybe some primulas
impatiens and.or sunpatiens
Watermelon and/or canteloupe in the bog, but that's starting in May and the other plants should be fully awake by then

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
see this is where there is no 100% Answer , Your water is not the same as mine a neither are the conditions. the smallest things can creatly change conditions on your pond compared to mine even the type of rock that we choose can make for lasting reactions within our ponds. weathered lime stone for instance i would suspect would help to buffer the ph and kh of a pond. well water may be rich in magnesium yet lack potassium. City water they try to met a standard but that to can be loaded with say phosphorous as many municipalities use this to keep the pipes from rotting away. So the answers are to get the basics known. Find what you want your pond to be then put them together. All the home work in the world and i think @combatwombat would agree will give you the tools but now you need to be attentive and figure what is the next step. with the bog it is not a plug and play it can take a while before the hair algae gets in check. 6 years latter i still get hair algae in my stream it doesn't stand a chance inb the main pond with all the grazing. So the best advice i can get is once your up and running its all about observations , and recognizing a problem on the rise

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I HAVE TRIED NUALGI AND BB THEY ARE NOT MIRACLE WORKERS.

Reaction score
Country
United States
see this is where there is no 100% Answer , Your water is not the same as mine a neither are the conditions. the smallest things can creatly change conditions on your pond compared to mine even the type of rock that we choose can make for lasting reactions within our ponds. weathered lime stone for instance i would suspect would help to buffer the ph and kh of a pond. well water may be rich in magnesium yet lack potassium. City water they try to met a standard but that to can be loaded with say phosphorous as many municipalities use this to keep the pipes from rotting away. So the answers are to get the basics known. Find what you want your pond to be then put them together. All the home work in the world and i think @combatwombat would agree will give you the tools but now you need to be attentive and figure what is the next step. with the bog it is not a plug and play it can take a while before the hair algae gets in check. 6 years latter i still get hair algae in my stream it doesn't stand a chance inb the main pond with all the grazing. So the best advice i can get is once your up and running its all about observations , and recognizing a problem on the rise
Thanks

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Vacuuming, netting leaves , and removing dead plants are probably the largest changes in how a pond is balanced. Koi and gold fish are grazer's AND Koi in particular do not digest their food well. thus thge multiple tiny feedings so the food is not pushed through an already poor digestive system . uneaten food is terible for the ballance of a pond

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
to save @GBBUDD from making the joke: "When you actually HAVE a pond". I know, I know...

But seriously, I know that plants fight/reduce the algae by consuming the nutrients, creating a low-nutrient environment and essentially starving the algae out. But is there a point at which the algae will actually choke out and kill the plants instead? Like if the plant is 50% covered by algae? 70%? What does your experience and/or research say?
Had a reed overtaken by algae in the bog, it didn't seem to care much for it. It was something I feared but it's warmed up quite a lot and all plants have gotten the signal to start pushing out crazy growth. Not sure 100% yet, but it seems like the nutrients are being sucked up by plants now a lot more, the algae seems to be sort of dropping to the bottom of the gravel, almost as if its dying but not sure.

I think I have to add elephant ears to the bog and that'll be a big drain on nutrients. I assume.

Ask a Question