When to cut back plants?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I leave the parrots feather it turns brown looks gross then in spring, it come back gang busters.
wish MY parrot's feather would act the same; since putting up my winter tent, I now have a CHANCE it might comeback as evidenced from one sprig that did just that last winter. Still, very hard to understand why it's classified as invasive in MI when it never survived by my pond all those years. And it'll struggle in my basement setup but usually I get some to 'start again'.

smilie sword twirl.gif

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
when it never survived by my pond all those years. And it'll struggle in my basement setup but usually I get some to 'start again'.
I can give you a lot in the spring, 4 different kinds, once it starts to grow. Just holler....................

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I can give you a lot in the spring, 4 different kinds, once it starts to grow. Just holler....................
okie dokie, roger wilco and out! Ifn mine doesn't sprout back up, I'll be a hollerin'!

smilie sword twirl.gif

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I've read it's actually best to wait until early spring to cut plants back as there might be beneficial insects that have laid eggs to overwinter on the stems. What do you guys think?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I've read it's actually best to wait until early spring to cut plants back as there might be beneficial insects that have laid eggs to overwinter on the stems. What do you guys think?
I can see the logic but faced with that loss and working with slimy, wet, mushy dead plants...well, I'd rather work in the fall with better conditions. Did toooooo many spring cleanups early in my career and when compared to doing fall cleanups, it's a no-brainer. I figure, there's more than enough bugs in the world already and the fish are getting fed (by me!) not to mention they have lots of algae to graze on...our ponds are not the only bug egg-laying sources around, ya know?

smile-alt1-merged-layers3.gif

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I can see the logic but faced with that loss and working with slimy, wet, mushy dead plants...well, I'd rather work in the fall with better conditions. Did toooooo many spring cleanups early in my career and when compared to doing fall cleanups, it's a no-brainer. I figure, there's more than enough bugs in the world already and the fish are getting fed (by me!) not to mention they have lots of algae to graze on...our ponds are not the only bug egg-laying sources around, ya know?

View attachment 143944
Oh, I was thinking more above water level, like bog plants and marginals.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I don't cut back the land plants I have growing the fields of wild flowers until spring. The bugs, birds etc eat the seeds all winter and use it for protection.

The bog plants I have never really seen anything obvious on the stems. And when cut, the stuff is dumped in my woods intact so any bug will still live.

The bog plants become mush if left in the bog, I did it one year, yuck!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I don't cut back the land plants I have growing the fields of wild flowers until spring. The bugs, birds etc eat the seeds all winter and use it for protection.

The bog plants I have never really seen anything obvious on the stems. And when cut, the stuff is dumped in my woods intact so any bug will still live.

The bog plants become mush if left in the bog, I did it one year, yuck!
Thanks Addy!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Oh, I was thinking more above water level, like bog plants and marginals.
like addy already noted; they turn to mush if you leave them over winter. I like to cut everything down before I begin closing down the pond.

smile-alt1-merged-layers3.gif

Reaction score
Country
United States
In South Eastern Virgina we get enough frost to kill plants in Late Fall then warms to average 55-45 degrees until Late Winter we'll get another last hit of cold, before our one week of Spring, then its like 90---THOUSAND degrees until the following November. Anyway, I remove my Water Hyacinth and Water Lettuce gradually during early November, saving some in water basins in my Greenhouse for next year. I replace the Hyacinth and Lettuce with Parrot Feather from the near by Dismal Swamp where it grows wild. I usually do the opposite in early Summer.

Ask a Question