When to move fish back outside

Reaction score
I am newer to ponds and just got some small goldfish and koi last year. I moved them inside for the cold MN winter cause my pond is above ground and would freeze solid. I got the pond all cleaned out, setup with bacteria and it has been running for about 2 weeks. I also started the fish on low temp food (cheerios is what I was told to use) last week.

At what water temp is it ok to put the fish back in? I would really like to get them back in the pond in hopes that they spawn. How big do the fish need to be to spawn?

The water temp is now in the mid 50s F. is it ok to put them back in the water or will it be too much of a shock on them?

Thanks!

Reaction score
It's ok to put them out now, just make sure to acclimate them to the water first. Chances are your water temp outside is not the same as the water they are in now.

Reaction score
koikeepr said:
who told you to use Cheerios?

The pond garden store employee that has been using Cheerios in her pond for the last 8 years in the spring and fall. They sell low temp food at the store but she said regular plain Cheerios works just the same...low in protein I guess?

Can I expect that the goldfish and/or koi will spawn even though they are smaller? They are probably between 2-5 inches long.

digginponds

pondaholic
Reaction score
If the water in your water hotel is within 10 deg,they will be fine,but slowly introduce them into the new water.As far a feeding Cheerios it is high in whole grains,low fat which is ideal for early spring,while the water temps are still cooler,and the fish are still a bit slower.
Funny I live up north and my fish seem fine outdoors all yr round......Must be the heater huh?

Attachments

• pondinwinter.jpg
    pondinwinter.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 286

Ask a Question