When to move "indoor" fish to the pond?

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I have 2 goldfish [last year's spawn] that I've kept inside over the winter -- no reason, other than I wanted to watch them grow & change. But will be moving them outside, to the pond soon.

Should I wait until the weather gets warmer, or the water gets to a certain temperature?? Or does it matter as long as I acclimate them to the pond [via floating them in a bag]?

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
In my own opinion, I wait until day temps are fairly consistently in the 50's, and more importantly, night time temps stay above 40. Our temp in the basement where we keep the fish is never warmer than 55 and usually colder, so I figure they can handle the change.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
In my own opinion, I wait until day temps are fairly consistently in the 50's, and more importantly, night time temps stay above 40. Our temp in the basement where we keep the fish is never warmer than 55 and usually colder, so I figure they can handle the change.

:cool:If you'll note my time & temp. thingy, it's currently 81 degrees here today, and I think the humidity is around 150%. Water temp. has consistently been well above 50 degrees for the past few weeks. So guessing I might be better off going by my water temp....

Ask a Question