When to put baby GF back in the pond....?

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
At what age or size can you safely put young GF back in the pond with the rest of the GF?

I have a little over a dozen that I brought inside as fry to help them get a head start. Just wondering when it's the best time to re-introduce them. I want them be be able to fend for themselves at feeding time, so figured size would be a factor..... The largest are about an inch long [not counting tail], but they still just look so teeny and defenseless..... Advice?

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
Until this year, I've always had new babies in my pond. I guess they manage to eat algae and other wild stuff to survive. So I don't think feeding is a problem. As for being victims, those babies can swim fast. There's also lots of places to hide. So as far as I'm concerned, babies can survive at any age.

Now, if you don't mind me saying so, you might have done them a disservice by taking them out. When you put them back, they have no pond smarts and won't know what algae to eat.

To answer you question directly, I would say you can put them back as long as they're big enough to eat the pond pellets you put in. They'll just follow the leader and eat with the others.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
With koi its when they get to a size that cant be snacked on easily so with goldfish an inch and a half perhaps would be a good size to put them back in TurtleMommy .

Dave

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I personally never took the fry out I have about 40 little goldfish this year. Did great over the winter. I never fed them either. I see them the most active at night with the lights on. They are eating algae and the hornwort

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Until this year, I've always had new babies in my pond. I guess they manage to eat algae and other wild stuff to survive. So I don't think feeding is a problem. As for being victims, those babies can swim fast. There's also lots of places to hide. So as far as I'm concerned, babies can survive at any age.

Now, if you don't mind me saying so, you might have done them a disservice by taking them out. When you put them back, they have no pond smarts and won't know what algae to eat.

To answer you question directly, I would say you can put them back as long as they're big enough to eat the pond pellets you put in. They'll just follow the leader and eat with the others.

As to taking them out of the pond, well, see I was about to drain the pond for repairs which meant putting all the fish in a holding tank. I didn't think the babies would survive that very well -- there wouldn't be much algal growth in the holding area for them, plus would probably make the adult fish more prone to seek snacks of the babies....

Ask a Question