addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
This is the hornwort forest, comes back every spring. The fish hang out in it all summer.
fish1.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
I purchased a bog bean earlier this year but all I have time to do is set it on a ledge in the pond in it's original container. What should I do with it over the winter? My plan is to build a bog next spring.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I purchased a bog bean earlier this year but all I have time to do is set it on a ledge in the pond in it's original container. What should I do with it over the winter? My plan is to build a bog next spring.
I have mine in our deck pond. It freezes solid and comes back every spring. We are 6a-b in temperature zone.

It is rated down to zone 2

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
This is the deck pond bog bean, no fish, shallow freezes up when we have a cold winter. I do a lot of cutting and pulling of it over the summer. After xx years it started growing really well.
dp.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
This is the hornwort forest, comes back every spring. The fish hang out in it all summer. View attachment 116295

Wow. That's your pond! That's awesome. Ok so I'm going to leave the hornwart. Someone said parrotfeathers will freeze and come back? I thought they were tropical plants that would die in the cold? I have some that did really well and I thought they were going to be gonners soon.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My parrots feather came back every winter until this last winter. It did come back in the bigger ponds.
We are 6b, so you should be fine. Have part of the plant rooted in a pot below water level. The stuff that came back was rooted in pots with other plants.
My ponds have had ice on them more than 12 inches thick and it still came back. This winter we were really cold for a bit. So the shallow pond parrots feather died.

Ask a Question