Is it too early to remove some plants?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Last weekend I removed the Taros from the pond, so I could prep them for overwinter storing, now my water hyacinth are starting to turn yellow and rotten, is it better to pull them out of the pond at this stage, or wait until they rot completely? ..it started to frost at night, it wont be long before they die out, it's just easier to remove them before they get mushy but I wonder if it's the right thing to do

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Because they still have some green, I thought maybe I should wait but after reading your replys I guess I'll pull them out tomorrow
Thank you guys!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I put mine in the basement in a concrete mixing tub and just like hyacinth and water lettuce a little light and miracle grow does wonders for them over the winter .I just cut them back and they grow nice and spring comes and I have plants ready to go and don't have to wait for the only store here to get them in and that means no green water or start up problems with my pond

peter hillman

Let me think for minute....
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3-5
Country
United States
I put mine in the basement in a concrete mixing tub and just like hyacinth and water lettuce a little light and miracle grow does wonders for them over the winter .I just cut them back and they grow nice and spring comes and I have plants ready to go and don't have to wait for the only store here to get them in and that means no green water or start up problems with my pond
And you don't need to worry about what comes in on the nursery plants. :cautious:

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
How true .My neighbor Tammy does not have a basement so last year we built her a frame with an old glass window from her moms house and put straw bales around it and put foam board in and then lined it with a piece of pond liner and filled it with water and she put her plants in it and they survived .I was surprised mice did not get at it .It was built like a cold frame but insulated better the deer did help themselves to some of the straw .All you would need mmathis is the insulated cold frame

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I have a basement but no free space, to put plants...I'm lucky enough to be able to store the bulbs in the very small unfinished area

Reaction score
I pulled a the plants 2 weeks ago. I just cut off the tops and throw them into deeper water. If they grow next year then I'm ahead of the game if not I buy new ones.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States

Sissy
What do you do exactly? Do you run a air pump in the water? Do you use a florescent light or a heat light? I have a basement but its a little chilly in winter. 60-65 degrees. I would like to keep some hayacinths if I could. Im thinking maybe one of those kiddie pools.

Ask a Question