tou name it iv tried it but eat it they do

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
This is what is also im my mind too Dave,
im clean out of ideas,
the owner of wayside water's said the weather's warming up so if they eat a little bit be ok,
But they are not just eating a bit!
They are eating the god dam bloody lot

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Im also worried about my filters, as the good bacteria are not yet going to strong enough due to the cold to cope with all tne extra crap,
I don't know im at a blank what to do

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Meyer I understand and agree with what you are saying but I also understand what other people are saying and by god are they eating,
but what would you do about the filter systems as in the strength and amount af good bacteria and the extra load they will put under in low temp conditions?
But many thanks for your view and input to the thread all taken on board

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Meyer I understand and agree with what you are saying but I also understand what other people are saying and by god are they eating,
but what would you do about the filter systems as in the strength and amount af good bacteria and the extra load they will put under in low temp conditions?
But many thanks for your view and input to the thread all taken on board

There seems to be a misconception concerning nitrifying bacteria growth and temperature. It is true that the growth rate for both Nitrosomonas and Nitrobacter is greatest at about 30C/86F water temperature and at 10C/50F this growth rate is about 25% of the 30C/86F rate. Where the misconception enters the picture is the the growth rate of these bacteria IS NOT directly proportional to temperature increase, it does not gradually increase as temperatures rise. Various scientific research projects have shown the the growth rate for nitrifying bacteria at 20C/68F is nearly identical to the growth rate at 10C/50F. Between 20C/68F and 30C/86F, however, the growth rate rapidly increases.
What this means in your case, Slick, is that it may be quite a while before your filter colonies increase their growth rate. However, at a growth rate of 25% the bacteria are still growing and still need a supply of Ammonia to sustain this growth. Also, keep in mind that there is likely a healthy population of both autotrophic nitrifiers and heterotrophic nitrifiers, which are less influenced by temperature, within the biofilm that coats all submerged pond surfaces.
Unless your pond has a high fish load and/or you overfeed, you should be OK. Remember your Sturgeon are producing Ammonia also. If you are to follow what many accept as the final word in feeding practices, then you shouldn't be feeding them either.
One other point, it seems that an assumption is made that Nitrifying bacteria die off as temperatures drop. This is absolutely false. Only at 0C/32F or below does nitrifying bacteria die off en masse or if they are allowed to dry out. Much of your original population is still intact.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
It is also worth noting that Free Ammonia levels (the toxic kind) are influenced by temperature as well as pH. When temps are low, so is the presence of toxic Ammonia. Most exists in the Ammonium form which is non-toxic.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have been feeding once or twice a week fall food since water has been above 50 degrees .They love there new food with the garlic and krill and veggies in it and bonus I do not have to mix garlic in there food anymore

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I have been feeding once or twice a week fall food since water has been above 50 degrees .They love there new food with the garlic and krill and veggies in it and bonus I do not have to mix garlic in there food anymore

What is the brand name of your Koi food?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I got it from pet solutions .I have also seen it now at dr foster and smith .It is all natural and not as expensive as some of the foods are .

Attachments

• pet solutions 2014 005.JPG
    pet solutions 2014 005.JPG
    200 KB · Views: 163

Ask a Question