Where ice is a problem -- is it best to COVER your pond vs letting it be covered with ice?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I personally think uncovered is better. I used a snow rake and removed most of the snow after each storm. This aided in quicker melting around the aerator and it allowed sun light to get to the fish which I am sure is better then just blackness for months. I was also able to see a few of them from time to time. This has been one of the coldest winters and my fish look great, I lost one small about 1"

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Uncovered for me! I like to keep my pond looking more natural and ice forming on the pond is just part of the yearly cycle. Now I do keep a bubbler going but that is it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
My pond is smaller and easy to cover. And if I didn't cover it I could have probably run the danger of my fish being ice cubes. I have not had a problem with mold or fungus. Clearly in retrospect I probably would have dug a deeper pond. But I also did not build a bigger pond because I know from having aquariums for about 30 years that everything is a learning progression. I mean the comparison to a natural pond is not really a fair comparison in my situation.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
mine is half above ground on 2 sides and about 8 inches above on 1 side and then waterfall on the end so it is not natural .But the septic tank is only about 5 ft away from the 1 edge of the pond so no other way to do it if I want to look down on it from the covered front porch

Ask a Question