sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I use the blue reusable filters from lowes hardware and lava rock and before I use them I soak them in peroxide and water .I also use the buffer pads i buy from the rental store here .They come in 3 kinds course ,fine and super fine .They fit perfect in round containers .
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:52794]
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:52795]

Reaction score
Thanks all :surprised: . We got 5 boxes of scouring pads from Sams. Box of 20 for Bout $6.00. I know we need more but going to check out the buffing pads at a rental place or online and use some lava rock too. We have the hole dug but we got a bunch of rain yesterday and we have alot of clay in our soil so it take some time to dry out :( . I can't wait to get out there and finish :toothy12: .

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
FWIW, I wonder about the wisdom of soaking the pads in peroxide. Since the pads are supposed to be a substrate for bacteria, wouldn't the peroxide inhibit the bacterial growth? I wouldn't do this unless the sole purpose of the pads was to collect as much gunk as possible, and it was cleaned on a regular basis, in which case I would be using some other medium for bio-filtration. :twocents:
John

Reaction score
I spent a fortune on my pads, at least $100. I bought differnt kinds. Went from srubby balls on the bottom to filter pads to scrubby bads. I have never cleaned the material over 3 years. I just drained pond and cleaned. Assume filter should be ok still but we will see.

HTH

Howard
Reaction score
koiguy1969 said:
about the aspen cooler pads...if theyre made of wood, theyre organic. organics break down, so logic says they will decompose and add to the bioload.
Maybe not. The aspen is used in cooler pads because it stands up better then other woods. A cooler can get nasty enough that you need to add chemicals to control the order and I do not recall that effecting the pads. I change mine out every year because the collect too much minerals. I expect that using them as a pond filter might reduce the buildup some.

I have read "that totally submerged wood doesn't rot. Wood that is damp or soggy rots. Rot is a fungus and it needs oxygen and moisture to work" As far as I have seen this is true. I had a flat bottom pond that was about a foot too deep for lilies. I set 2x10 boards on cinder blocks and the pots on the boards. Did that for maybe 6 or more years with no noticable rot on the same set of boards.

Ask a Question