Where to buy 'Bog' plants?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
I'm going to build a bog for my pond, so I'm trying to find a place online for the plants. I'm not ready yet, but I'm trying to find a place for when I'm ready.

Not totally sure what types yet, probably dwarf cattails would be on the list.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Addy, I'll have to keep in touch, as well!

Falconut, I usually order from PondMegastore and William Tricker. Have been happy with both, so far. Have ordered from a few different places when I've searched for a particular plant.

There's a site [Dave's Garden?] where you can see customer reviews of various online stores -- somewhat helpful -- but they also will list retailers that will carry a particular plant if you're looking for something you can't find with a general Google search.

For example, I like a plant called Bloody Dock [it's something my box turtles can munch on]. Wasn't able to find any through my usual "pond plant" searches, so went to several of the retailers listed on Dave's Garden. Found one, and ordered 5 plants from them -- the store didn't carry any pond or bog plants, but they did have Bloody Dock which can sometimes be used as a bog plant. Their plants were price-comparable, if not priced better than any "pond" store I'd previously ordered from.

I got the plants a couple of weeks ago, so am having to keep them indoors until it warms up [I'm surprised the store sent them this time of year....]. The plants are absolutely gorgeous specimens! I was shocked! They are nice, full plants, in little pots, not bare roots. I think I got double or triple what I paid for compared to ordering from a "pond plant" store.

Bottom line, I guess, is don't JUST search "pond plant" stores. Oh, and check out Addy & others on here for "starts" & "swaps!" :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Falconut, I will also have bog plant come spring. I have a variegated cattail, water clover, water parsley/celery, and penny wart. These all grow really well in a bog, and once established, really spread fast. If you want tamer plants, you can put most day lilies in the bog, some irises do well in there, too. If you want any plants that I have, just PM me with what you would like. When my plants start growing well, I'll message you back and see if you're still interested and how much you want. I, too, only request postage in return for the plants. Good luck!

Ask a Question