Whiskey barrel water garden

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Ok, I retested the water and as far as I can tell it’s still around 40-80 ppm but maybe someone else can narrow it down a bit?

D6C9BFB2-99BC-4F9E-B613-56097451F1BE.jpeg

I also took a few pictures of the pond to see how much growth I’ve had in a little less than a week. These things are going crazy in there!

E090B334-575B-4AAB-A500-B176FB5D1D79.jpeg C66E55FB-0FB5-4E32-8DAD-0A967E1A57BB.jpeg 64E5ACCD-E271-4513-B109-41378ACB1019.jpeg

Reaction score
Country
United States
Plants look great!

Those cards sure are hard to read. Did you try holding the card and test tube up to the light? Maybe place the tube right in front of the color chart. A reading of 40-80 nitrates seems high to me. Did you add fertilizer to the plants?

Have you ever tested your water right from the tap? Just to get an idea where it's at to start.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Thanks @bettasngoldfish , I've been very pleased with how they've grown. I wish my lilies in the big pond looked this good but that's another story.

Yes, I did add the fertilizer tablets that came with the lilies then about a week or two after I planted them I put some Laguna fertilizer spikes in there. I might have gone a little overboard on the fertilizer but the plants don't seem to mind at all! The nitrates were higher and seem to be going down slowly as the plants grow but I feel like I will have to remove the fertilizer spikes and do at least one BIG (if not complete) water change before I can add any fish. It'll be a little while yet and I'm really not in any hurry to add them. I haven't tested my tap water but I can definitely do that soon, probably Friday since I work at the hospital all day tomorrow.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
@ShawnInfirmity I finally put my barrel water garden together and it looks awful. LOL

Not anywhere close to being as nice as yours. I think the reason I am so unhappy with it is the lack of moving water. It just looks boring. I don't even want to put a picture up.

You made it look too easy. LOL

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Don't sell yourself short @ROW FISH I'm sure it's not as bad as you say! My water has been pretty cloudy recently and my plants are browning up and yellowing a little so it's not looking great but one of my Pickerel Rush is blooming so I have that going for me! LOL

Ask a Question