Why are my fish dying?

Reaction score
The description of the filter says it will handle just over 212 cm of fish... So approx 2 feet. That's 4 medium size goldfish. I would have also suggested 4 fish based on the 200 gallon size. I would try to rehome the rest or if they are sick, euthanize.

Reaction score
The description of the filter says it will handle just over 212 cm of fish... So approx 2 feet. That's 4 medium size goldfish. I would have also suggested 4 fish based on the 200 gallon size. I would try to rehome the rest or if they are sick, euthanize.

2 feet what, squared? how do you get 2 feet from 212cm? 30cm = 1ft

I wont euthanize any fish either, they made it through the bad spell, they deserve to carry on.

You can even see the bottom of the pond now...

afterFullClean.jpg

Reaction score
WOW! Big difference!!! Awesome job!!!! Hope you've had a chance to have a beverage next to the pond to enjoy your hard work and the fish.

I guess you could leave the fish and see how it goes. Some may just die of .... whatever naturally. critters may get some ..... maybe they will thin out on naturally. And fingers crossed your filter can handle them. If it becomes a problem maybe you can give some away. OR you may decided to expand the pond or build a second one.

Putting a piece of that lily back in would be nice for some shade for the fish.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Hi Guy,
I'm glad your pond is nice and good again, you did a great job.

That pond is way too small for 24 goldfish. May be you can reduce it by giving them away? It'll be a lot easier to maintain your water quality that way. Or you can try to build more filter tosupport the amount of fish you have. If you want to see how to build filter you can see it from DIY section :)

Enjoy your fish!

One question, is there any water movement in your pond? I dont see it from this picture.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Wow, what a difference! I'm not surprised the filters were that dirty, now you can keep up with it and not go through that type of nasty cleaning again.

I agree, I'd put some of the lily back in....you can keep it under control. It'll provide some nice shade for the fish.

I've heard of folks doing well with a high fish load, if they're over filtered. Feeding them lightly may also help.

Time to relax a bit by your pond - job well done:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Good Job Guy and you neednt have worried about the foam either , now all you need not do for a few days is feed the fish they need to come bown in size width ways they need smaller amoints until they get their propper shape back .
Keep an eye on the ammonia and nitrite levels for a few weeks too just in case .
Your next job buy that book I gave you the tittle authors names and ISBN numbers it will explain much of what you'll need to know for happy and healthy fish

Dave

Reaction score
One question, is there any water movement in your pond? I dont see it from this picture.

the clean filter water comes in at the top end.

Think i will put a small lily in the bottom end, as its a bit 'empty' now :)

fed them a tablespoon of food on Sunday, they each had a bit and seem ok now.

Will definitely heed the advice on here about lower frequency and quantity of feeds.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
You could consider even more aeration, as in an air pump, with your fish load.....especially in the summer. Glad things are smoothing out for you and your pond :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
You could consider even more aeration, as in an air pump, with your fish load.....especially in the summer. Glad things are smoothing out for you and your pond :)
Agreed you could buy a pond air pomp to do that job guy they come with multi taps some with up to twelve taps you can attach air hose to so you have total control of the air going into your pond .
You could say run one to one end of the pond the other the other end , with the taps you can also control the amount of air coming out rom your airstones even to switch them off from the airpump if need be .

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
How are your fish doing Guy I hope your not feeding them at the moment and that the diet is taking some of the weight off them ?

Dave

Reaction score
Hi Dave,

the fish are doing fine, no strange behaviour and have only been fed once (last sunday, 15th) in the last 2 weeks.

Im going to stick to once a week for a while, let them thin down a little. As long as that wont damage them long term?

Ask a Question