Why are my fish dying?

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
I would suggest that myself too except I thought it would be a little overwhelming for a novice. When I was a newbie, I found that cleaning the filters and doing water changes did wonders.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Remember this Guy "Fish Health usually improves with increased waterchanges" ," for an unknown problem try a big water change" not my words but taken from the Koi Organization International Koi Guide and pretty sound advice it is too.

Dave

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I think Guy is doing great. The 50% water change for several days usually do wonder (and would be less work if it works) but now it seems there might be more to the problem so empty the pond and clean it out is the next step.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
I think Guy is doing great. The 50% water change for several days usually do wonder (and would be less work if it works) but now it seems there might be more to the problem so empty the pond and clean it out is the next step.
Best to take it sowly too much could harm the fish, I've heard of fish in a polluted lake in Mexico being taken out by experts, put into fresh water where they promptly dropped dead through it as they were so used to living in the polluted water :(

Dave;)

Reaction score
Best to take it sowly too much could harm the fish, I've heard of fish in a polluted lake in Mexico being taken out by experts, put into fresh water where they promptly dropped dead through it as they were so used to living in the polluted water :(

Dave;)

Maybe the pond doesn't have to fully drained or the fish caught, if the bottom can be now be completely cleaned - since the plant is gone. I think once that happens and the silt settles, another two water changes and that might make all the difference in the world.

I think we can agree something suspect is happening at the bottom on that pond which is causing the water to be toxic.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Maybe the pond doesn't have to fully drained or the fish caught, if the bottom can be now be completely cleaned - since the plant is gone. I think once that happens and the silt settles, another two water changes and that might make all the difference in the world.

I think we can agree something suspect is happening at the bottom on that pond which is causing the water to be toxic.

Maybe not completely drained, but I do thing that taking the fish out for a little while is a good idea. I recently had to drain our pond [for a renovation], which meant catching all the fish and putting them in a 300 gal stock tank for holding. Man, I thought my pond-bottom was fairly clean, but think again! There was so much gunk that if I wasn't already planning to remove the fish, I would have done so anyway -- I don't think they would have survived after all the bottom stuff was disturbed.

Of course, every situation is different, but it sounds like Guy [the OP] has a lot of "unknowns" going on in that pond from the previous owners. With my pond, even though I was shocked at the amt. of crud, at least I knew what was potentially down there.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States

Dave;)
My rational is that the 'several water changed' kinda get them used to the newer water already, even though not a long time but it's been like 24 hrs at a time at least, right? so for me the 50% several time is almost like 75-80% and if he took out the fish and put them in a holding tank with 50/50 old /new water, that would be even more getting them used to the new water. Don't know, that's my novice trying to make up things to get my way :oops:

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I agree, a sudden shock from a massive water change is as deadly as bad water. I have not read all the posts, but I think the gest of this is high ammonia. Vacuuming the bottom is the first thing I would do to remove dead matter. Then if your water has chloramines in it, make sure you use the right dechlor to insure the ammonia is neutralized as well. If you don't have a wet/dry vacuum, try siphoning, if that is not possible, use a fine net. I also set up a submersible pump and a basket with quilting material in it to fine filter all the stuff that gets stirred up while cleaning the bottom. In a days time the water will be crystal clear.
I hope I don't get another email with problems on this thread.

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
I don't know what I'm more shocked with, the appearance of DrDave or that tripod.com is still around!

I think Guy the OP is resting, he's probably traumatized and stressed with the fish in his pond and the stuff he's had to read on this thread!

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Tripod has been a great free web site provider for me since 2003. Over the years, I have published at least 8 different websites there, all free. I currently maintain 4.
As for my appearance here, I always show up when there is a conflict reported, many times the other Mods or Admin's have already taken care of the issue so I stay out. My daily posting at times influenced my feelings about others. So in order to remain objective, I chose to remain on the sideline, however I do answer to many private conversations and of course reported issues.
Our new property in Fallbrook has had me working almost 7 days a week since retirement. I have a neighbor who has 2 Koi ponds that I advise on and another neighbor has a 1/2 acre pond that is spring fed. I spend a little time with them when I am not working the land here.
I like your graphic, very original. The atomic number 80 is actually Mercury, so is that your age? No offense intended...

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
Tripod has been a great free web site provider for me since 2003. Over the years, I have published at least 8 different websites there, all free. I currently maintain 4.
Ya, I was on the internet early on and I used to see a lot of tripod.com websites. Almost all of them have vanished. This is the first I've seen for years.

... working almost 7 days a week since retirement.
I have to chuckle at that... But I guess keeping busy is better than not!

I like your graphic, very original. The atomic number 80 is actually Mercury, so is that your age? No offense intended...
Thanks, I copied that off Mucky_Waters. I picked #80 at random, I guess it just happened to be where my cursor was. If there was to be a Johnium, it would have to be 119 or so. But there won't be a lot of time until the numbers butt up against the island of stability.

Cheers,
John

Reaction score
Evening all, bit of a long day today as i ended up at the doctors with a swollen leg due to getting bitten on the calf by some critter while doing the water change yesterday! I have antibiotics but if it swells any more i have to go to hospital as the pain has travelled up into the thigh area and the doc said its a pretty bad reaction.

I thought this pond lark was supposed to be safe and relaxing? :p

anyway, fish are looking ok, still very much underwater and not gasping at the inlet. I did test the outside tap, and the ammonia level was zero, so that rules that out. I would like to test the water coming out of the hose though, in case that is contaminated. But as mentioned by others, its probably the scurge at the bottom of the pond. Its thick, and gloopy. I put my hand in yesterday and the rubber glove looked rather distasteful when i pulled it out :facepalm:

its still very murky, so im keen (and a bit more confident now) to go ahead with removing the fish and doing an all out clean.

Yes, i do have a kiddie pool, a few of them! so i can at least borrow one and use it as a temporary tank while i get the job done.

Again, thanks for all the valuable input, its greatly appreciated :happy:

Ask a Question