Why are my fish dying?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
At least your part way there now guy personally I wouldt take that much out 60% tops then 40% in a days time with a further 40% the day after if necessary (y)
I would still buy the API master pond test kit plus the bioactive tapsafe is a good one to use:cool: .
Buy the book I suggested they go for a song on Amazon UK it will give you the grounding you need to understand all aspects of our hobby :)
Goldfish if propperly looked after can live up to around 40 years koi 80+ we have two old timers that are now in their 27 year wih us.PM me with any questions and I'll do my best to answer them in laymans terms for you, remember fish keeping isnt rocket science its plain old common sense, that way you wont go wrong my friend.:)
PS the book I recomended was bought for me by Val my partner I read it cover to cover all those years ago infect in those days it was the Salamander Manual of Fish health the title I gave you was the updated version of it :cool:
When everything is Hunky Dory with the pond test the water on a weekly basis do regular water changes and periodic cleans of your filtration .:eek:
Do you have a UV-C on the pond do you know ?

Dave;)

Reaction score
Dave54 maybe I am the one who doesn't know what dropsy is. I'm not sure but I feel like those fish in the picture do show pineconing. Also, what are the chances of 5 fish all dying at the same time from over eating?

Fishnovice... is it possible to get a pic of the recently dead fish so we can see if the scales are bending out like a pinecone? Or can you just tell us?

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
Dave54 maybe I am the one who doesn't know what dropsy is. I'm not sure but I feel like those fish in the picture do show pineconing. Also, what are the chances of 5 fish all dying at the same time from over eating?

Fishnovice... is it possible to get a pic of the recently dead fish so we can see if the scales are bending out like a pinecone? Or can you just tell us?
Dropsy isn't just having a big belly.
Dying from overeating was a bit of a tongue in cheek exercise, I thought a fish expert such as yourself would have caught that. The dying would have been from the unhealthy pond chemistry. The fat fish would be a sign that too much food was being fed. That and what the owner was telling us.

Again, don't get hung up on being correct. It doesn't matter. The underlying cause is the problem.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom

I'm not arguing the case dieselplower I've never known five fish to get dropsy and all drop dead enmass all at the same time its just not possible.
Not in all our 27 years have we come across more than one fish getting dropsy in a pond at anyone time.
My friend look again at the photos the bellies are distended and I can see no sign nor can Val of pineconing and believe me weve had a darn good look trying to put dropsy in the frame but we cant .

Dave

Reaction score
OK I am finally looking at these pictures on a desktop rather than my phone. Did you guys look at the pictures of the fish? The scales seem to be pineconing to me. Now do you guys know that dropsy is not a sickness, but rather a group of symptoms? Also that filter is disgusting and needs a good cleaning lol! Is that the only filter on the pond?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
To tell you the truth dieselplower I think we are letting the shear size of these fish to get to us and are missing the real culprit which is most probably the water .
Let's suppose for a moment that if previous owner fed thse sticks three times daily then they would grow large the koi Autopsy I did proves that what if the previous owners spoiled their charges
Guy has come along been told what to feed them and has inadvertantly has sort of tipped the ballance water quality wise and its this we should be concentrating on CommetKieth touched on what is probably the reason Catastrophic Oxygen Depletion of the water would take out numbers like this weve had some humongous storms going across the UK from France and Spain of late which is normally when C.O.D. occurs:-

Catastrophic Oxygen Depletion Koi pond in your
We are grateful to the dedicated professors and researchers at our universities for their contributions to aquaculture. Because of their hard work and attention to detail, they have given us the information we need to keep our koi ponds and pond fish healthy, so we can enjoy the wonderful past time of pond keeping.
Catastrophic Oxygen Depletion and How to Avoid It
The Indiana ADDL is located on the Purdue Campus in West Lafayette, Indiana.
by: Tim Muench, DVM, MS
Edited by: Randy White,DVM, PhD
During the warm spring and summer months, we receive an increased number of phone calls regarding sudden fish kills in ponds. The typical history includes observing a very large number of fish dead in an otherwise normal pond following a rainstorm or summer thunderstorm. Usually the owner is very concerned that the fish may have died due to "run-off" of farm chemicals into the pond. Most of the time, these fish kills are a result of a phenomenon known as "pond stratification." Pond stratification is somewhat of a misnomer, since the stratification can also occur in lakes, creeks and some rivers. The stratification leads to a catastrophic depletion of oxygen which almost always results in a very high mortality of aquatic animal life within 24-48 hours following the "de-stratification."
The scientific reasoning behind this phenomenon of pond stratification relates to the temperature of the pond. In the early spring, while the temperature of the pond is still relatively low, the dissolved oxygen is uniformly distributed throughout the pond. As the atmospheric temperature increases, the pond begins to stratify, that is, become layered, with the surface water becoming warmer and lighter while the cooler and denser water forms a layer underneath. Circulation of the colder bottom water is prevented because of the difference in densities between the two layers of water. Dissolved oxygen levels decrease in the bottom layer since photosynthesis and contact with the air is reduced. The already low oxygen levels are further reduced through the decomposition of waste products, which settle to the pond bottom. After a rain, or any other event which disrupts the two layers, a "de-stratification" or "turn-over" of the pond occurs. This has the effect of releasing all of the dissolved oxygen from the upper layer of the pond into the atmosphere, hence, a catastrophic oxygen depletion.
Once stratification of a pond occurs, there is nothing that can be done to alleviate the situation. However, pond stratification can be very easily prevented by the use of supplemental aeration. Aerators come in all sizes and shapes as well as different power sources, i.e., tractor p-t-o, electrical, mechanical, etc. It is important to aerate the pond properly, i.e. match the size of the aerator to the pond, since over-aeration is wasted and may even lead to oxygen supersaturation, known as "gas-bubble" disease and under-aeration will not prevent stratification.
In those cases where we suspect catastrophic oxygen depletion, all other possible pathogens including bacterial, viral, parasitic agents are eleminated from the differential diagnosis list. However, the history of several days to weeks of warm weather followed by a sudden rainstorm are highly suggestive of this condition. If you suspect that you are dealing with a pond turn-over situation following pond stratification, it is imperative to have the pond owner take a water sample and have the dissolved oxygen (DO) concentration evaluated immediately. This water sample should be collected in a clean glass jar or bottle with a screw-top lid and should be completely filled by completely submersing the sample and container and placing the lid on the container while it is still under water.
By: Tim Muench, DVM, MS
Edited by: Randy White,DVM, PhD

Dave

Last edited:

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
dp, there is no need to get hung up on this. Consider the big picture. No matter what, the OP needs to change water and clean his filter. Those fish are dead, what dies it matter if they have dropsy, malaria or scoliosis? We already know what the problem is, and the cure.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
I would never consider myself a fish expert! In fact I have already told that to the original poster in a private message!
Niether would I my friend my knowledge comes from the many books we have I have no qualifications in this as such which I hopefully aim to do at some stage in the not too distant future.
Show us which the fish is which you consider to be pinconing and Val and I will look t it again .
One thing I do know about Tetra sticks though is they do tend to pile on the pounds if you feed too much thats why we no longer use them prefaring instead the more specialized koi pellet which are imported into the UK from holland an autopsy by Guy would see if there is too much fat built up in them but Guy is a novice and unschooled in that skill

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
You can change the water and clean the filter but if the fish have infections they could still easily die. Would you not want to treat those? Im really not hung up on anything.
If it was dropsy yes I would try my best to treat them, the fish I posted with dropsy which was badly pineconing I helped turn around but I said at that time I give it a year before it repeats itself and next time the outcome would be fatal for Big Red which was the name given to him.
Virtually a year to the day later he relapsed and died its a hard thing to treat it can be down to organ failure Parasitic attack or viral which is exeedingly rare but will cause a number of fish to come down with it so the odds on that in an enclosed system are so very rare to the point it hardly happens.
One more thing the eyes of fish with dropsy bug out which is not seen in Guys Photo

Dave

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
You can change the water and clean the filter but if the fish have infections they could still easily die. Would you not want to treat those? Im really not hung up on anything.
I think we can all see that the first priority is to change the water and clean the filter, i.e. to clean the environment. The underlying cause of infections is usually depressed immune system from bad water quality. Alright, you get a pat on the back for being right. What now? The next immediate crucial step is still clean the pond environment.

Don't get hung up on this and you don't need a pat on the back. Remember you tried to get that from WB and all you got was disappointment. I don't mind telling you now that at one point in the beginning I seriously considered asking the mods to ban you because the information you freely gave out was totally incorrect. But you've learned a lot since then.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
I think we can all see that the first priority is to change the water and clean the filter, i.e. to clean the environment. The underlying cause of infections is usually depressed immune system from bad water quality. Alright, you get a pat on the back for being right. What now? The next immediate crucial step is still clean the pond environment.

Don't get hung up on this and you don't need a pat on the back. Remember you tried to get that from WB and all you got was disappointment. I don't mind telling you now that at one point in the beginning I seriously considered asking the mods to ban you because the information you freely gave out was totally incorrect. But you've learned a lot since then.

I hope you dont mean me there John WB and I have never got on and never will ?

Dave

Reaction score
No Dave54, Im sure he meant me. Noone gets along with Waterbug except John. And noone seems to care for John much either. What a coincidence.

Sorry this thread got so off course but Im really just sick of Huff and Puff.

Ask a Question