Why are my fish dying?

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
I hope you dont mean me there John WB and I have never got on and never will ?

Dave
Dave, no, I meant dieselplower. It was that time when he tried to cozy up to WB and WB spurned him and someone said that WB was a lone wolf! That was quite a while back.

dieselplower, you are wrong. Quite a few people get along with WB. I'm not judgemental, WB has his good days. I'd be happy to sit with anyone here and have a pint.

Ya, I'm sorry this got off course as well, but that post where diesel needed affirmation from shakako struck a chord and I thought this would be a good opportunity to wean him off that.

Reaction score
Huff and Puff... I don't see any problem asking knowledgeable members if they agree with something. Why did that bother you? Most likely because you are insecure and mad I did not ask you, because I do not find you knowledgeable.

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
Huff and Puff... I don't see any problem asking knowledgeable members if they agree with something. Why did that bother you? Most likely because you are insecure and mad I did not ask you, because I do not find you knowledgeable.
When members post information that is incorrect or harmful, then it should be a bother to everyone on the forum. As I said, I had seriously considered asking the mods to ban you because when you were a newbie, your posts were prolific as well as incorrect in some cases. As I recall, you didn't even know how the nitrogen cycle worked (don't make me search for those posts, but they should be within your first 50), yet you were giving out information from God knows where. But I'm glad I didn't say anything because you've learned a lot since then.

I mention the part about your needing pats on the back because it continues to make you look insecure. Who cares if WB or whoever acknowledges your posts. You are you and WB is WB.

When you continue to not know what is a good post or not, that is a continuing problem. Just like this thread where you continue to harp on dropsy. An experienced ponder would know that the immediate first step is to clean up the pond, not to debate on fish scales.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
No Dave54, Im sure he meant me. Noone gets along with Waterbug except John. And noone seems to care for John much either. What a coincidence.

Sorry this thread got so off course but Im really just sick of Huff and Puff.
Now thats where your wrong on that diesilplower I get along with John his sense of humour is very close to my own sick :LOL:

Dave

Reaction score
Do you
When members post information that is incorrect or harmful, then it should be a bother to everyone on the forum. As I said, I had seriously considered asking the mods to ban you because when you were a newbie, your posts were prolific as well as incorrect in some cases. As I recall, you didn't even know how the nitrogen cycle worked (don't make me search for those posts, but they should be within your first 50), yet you were giving out information from God knows where. But I'm glad I didn't say anything because you've learned a lot since then.

I mention the part about your needing pats on the back because it continues to make you look insecure. Who cares if WB or whoever acknowledges your posts. You are you and WB is WB.

When you continue to not know what is a good post or not, that is a continuing problem. Just like this thread where you continue to harp on dropsy. An experienced ponder would know that the immediate first step is to clean up the pond, not to debate on fish scales.
Do you really think I'm debating if the pond needs to be cleaned out? that's a no brainer. I've moved past that along time ago. In fact I've already suggested another forum where the members are much mire knowledgeable when it comes to treating sick fish cause it's obvious the help won't be found here!

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
Now thats where your wrong on that diesilplower I get along with John his sense of humour is very close to my own sick :LOL:

Dave
Thanks Dave. Ya, I feel we've already gone way of course here.

Do you

Do you really think I'm debating if the pond needs to be cleaned out? that's a no brainer. I've moved past that along time ago. In fact I've already suggested another forum where the members are much mire knowledgeable when it comes to treating sick fish cause it's obvious the help won't be found here!
As I mentioned in my reply to you in the other thread. Don't overwhelm the poster with useless information.

You continue to completely miss the point. Fix the underlying causes first! If you're not debating whether the pond needs to be cleaned out, why go to another forum to ask about treating sick fish? Why???

It's like going to a war zone and instead of doing triage you check for scoliosis. That is the crux of my posts here which you continually continue to miss!

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
Huff and Puff, the pond needs to be cleaned out and some of the fish will probably need treatment if they are going to live and this is not a good forum for that.
Read his post. The ones with the problems are already dead.

Reaction score
another dead one when i got in from work today :(

removed around 360 litres from the pond, and replaced it with fresh water. Adding the bioactive tapsafe every 45 litres.

the fish arent gulping at the surface so much now, although a few are congregating where the water comes in from the filter.

the water still looks murky, although i think i disturbed some dirt off the pond floor when pouring a couple of buckets back in too hastily...

afterFirstChange.jpg

the ammonia test came up real bad, a very dark green, matching the 8 on the colour card.

This was before the water change, will do another test tomorrow (is it worth it, or does it need a couple of days to settle?)...

ammonia_test.jpg

The nitrite test came up a light turquoise blue, which is apparently ok?

although i was advised to do this in a couple of days once things have settled.

I am thinking i will do a 50% change tomorrow evening as suggested on here and in the store, given how bad the ammonia levels are.

Thanks again for all your advice, been a great help :)

Reaction score
Sir I would do another water change now if you can. Goldfish are very tough and will appreciate it. You generally want ammonia and nitrite to be as close to 0 as possible and nitrate under 60 PPM. Yes they can survive higher but it is not ideal. I believe the reason they are not gulping at the top now is because the fresh water being poured in created a lot of oxygen in the pond. You need a lot of water movement to keep the oxygen level up. I dont mean to beat you up because you are doing the right things now but 8 PPM is really very high. I would do another water change asap. A 50% water change would only get you down to 4 PPM and that is still way too high. Dont be shy about it. And no it does not need time to settle.

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
Sir I would do another water change now if you can. Goldfish are very tough and will appreciate it. You generally want ammonia and nitrite to be as close to 0 as possible and nitrate under 60 PPM. Yes they can survive higher but it is not ideal. I believe the reason they are not gulping at the top now is because the fresh water being poured in created a lot of oxygen in the pond. You need a lot of water movement to keep the oxygen level up. I dont mean to beat you up because you are doing the right things now but 8 PPM is really very high. I would do another water change asap. A 50% water change would only get you down to 4 PPM and that is still way too high. Dont be shy about it. And no it does not need time to settle.
Ya, 8ppm is the highest I've seen a test here. You should probably do another asap.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Is there a way to add increased aeration? The water looks very still and you mention the fish are congregating where the water comes in from the filter.

Ask a Question