two fish dead rest not well

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Its not the point HARO if you were a novice coming omto a site to ask why my fish are dying you dont want someone who knows better than most to do what WB does repetedly why because he is bored today so we'll see if I can get rid of some poor novice .
We dont know Timbers age for starters he could for all we know be a child, what if he is how do you think that reflects this forum ?.
Many people have been fish keeping on this site for many years ourselves 27 but there is no way I would attack a novice like that as to why I dont know perhaps he gets off on it ?
Its not the first time I've seen him trash someone like that and its a nasty way of doing things which is a shame as he is quite a knowledgable person and could if he wished have answered those Questions.

rgrds

Dave

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Timber; please understand that I was not referring to you personally. I have noticed over the two years or so since I joined the forum that many posters will ask a question, and then dissappear again. Have they solved their problem? Or are they busy turning their pond into a rose garden? The forum has almost 6,000 "members", yet only a handful of regulars. I would wager that 5,500 of those members are no longer active in the hobby! We look for instant gratification, and if we don't find it in one endeavour, we move on to the next. The pond becomes a garden, the cameras gather dust in the back of some closet, the tennis racket and skis are sold at a yard sale, and the Exes are lining up for their alimony cheques. It's all part of our modern society. Personally, I'm glad to hear that you are staying in the hobby; we need more "lifers"!
John

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Dave 54 said:
Its not the point HARO if you were a novice coming omto a site to ask why my fish are dying you dont want someone who knows better than most to do what WB does repetedly why because he is bored today so we'll see if I can get rid of some poor novice .
We dont know Timbers age for starters he could for all we know be a child, what if he is how do you think that reflects this forum ?.
Many people have been fish keeping on this site for many years ourselves 27 but there is no way I would attack a novice like that as to why I dont know perhaps he gets off on it ?
Its not the first time I've seen him trash someone like that and its a nasty way of doing things which is a shame as he is quite a knowledgable person and could if he wished have answered those Questions.

rgrds

Dave
Yes, Dave, he could have. But I can also understand that it becomes rather tiring typing the same info over and over again, when anyone can find it using the search feature. As for possibly being a child, I doubt it. Kids now-a-days are so computer-savy that they can get the answers they are looking for in less time than it takes an old geezer like me to type out an answer! :cheerful:
John

Reaction score
timber said:
No sorry don't have an ammonia test.
and don't know the ph of the tap water pre pond.
Can you get an ammonia test?

How did you test the water in the pond? Can you take water from the tap, or where ever you got your pond water from, and do a test on it?

With the results you gave, after such a massive water change, we need to now what the source water tests as, so we can move foreward with the best ways to help you and your remaining fish.

Reaction score
Hi Timber. Thanks for posting more info. I'm in the US and didn't do an exact conversion but I usually take litres and divide by 4 to get a rough estimate on gallons. It seems you have 16 fish in a 250 gallon pond. Approximately. this is your main problem, in my opinion. That is just too many fish. How big are the fish? I personally would put 5 goldfish in a 250 gallon tub. I do not even consider the the tub big enough for one Koi. The amount of ammonia they ate producing by breathing, and going to the bathroom is far exceeding what your filters and the bacteria in the pond can handle. Your fish likely died from to high levels of ammonia, nitrite, or nitrate. My advice would be to get rid of all but 5 of the fish. I. A pond of that size, you should also be doing weekly water changes. Ill just throw out say 20% of the water every week. Test the water, see how it looks, and decide if you need to change more or less. Ammonia and nitrite should always be zero ideally. Under 20 for nitrates is ideal but I would say under 40 is acceptable.

Reaction score
The issue for me is helping the poster save their fish.

I don't think starting a flame war helps the poster. I think it has the opposite effect. Telling the poster that the info to save their fish is already available...just waiting to be read...no need to wait around for someone to maybe post something...is reasonable advice. If you don't like that advice, if you think the poster should instead wait for you post then please post that. Arrogant as hell, but be my guess.

Sitting around judging other people posts just because you don't like the poster to start a flame war and claim you're helping the poster is hypocrisy. I don't see how it helps save these fish.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
The issue for me is helping the poster save their fish.

I don't think starting a flame war helps the poster. I think it has the opposite effect. Telling the poster that the info to save their fish is already available...just waiting to be read...no need to wait around for someone to maybe post something...is reasonable advice. If you don't like that advice, if you think the poster should instead wait for you post then please post that. Arrogant as hell, but be my guess.

Sitting around judging other people posts just because you don't like the poster to start a flame war and claim you're helping the poster is hypocrisy. I don't see how it helps save these fish.
Who's judging your post WB your the person you should be judging my friend not others because you perceive they dont like you "hyppocrisy are you that sad just look in the mirror"
I respect your knowledge as do others, you shouldn't treat people like you did and you know it "Enough Said"

Reaction score
Waterbug said:
Sorry, not really reading this thread too close. Too many petty posts to wade thru to bother.
Come on man. U came back to the thread, read my post, and responded but couldn't scroll up about 5 posts? You said the issue here is helping save the fish. Are you going to do that or not? I know you said you already gave the best advice, but I disagree. I read the info available, asked questions to fill in the gaps, and posted my thoughts about what was causing the problem and how to correct it. Much easier than reading thru 50 threads about 50 different people who had fish die for 50 different reasons. I know you don't care, but the more of your posts I read, the more I like you. Your posts here are a lot like mine on diesel performance forums. "do a search" is one of my favorite responses there because I have answered every question 50 times. Man newbies hate that LOL.

Reaction score
dieselplower said:
Come on man. U came back to the thread, read my post, and responded but couldn't scroll up about 5 posts? You said the issue here is helping save the fish. Are you going to do that or not? I know you said you already gave the best advice, but I disagree. I read the info available, asked questions to fill in the gaps, and posted my thoughts about what was causing the problem and how to correct it. Much easier than reading thru 50 threads about 50 different people who had fish die for 50 different reasons. I know you don't care, but the more of your posts I read, the more I like you. Your posts here are a lot like mine on diesel performance forums. "do a search" is one of my favorite responses there because I have answered every question 50 times. Man newbies hate that LOL.
LOL he read it, but you might as well forget it DP, he doesn't have any interest in having anybody "like him". He prefers to be the lone wolf.
Lone wolves don't take part in group discussions, they just make statements, it's one of their traits.
Doesn't make him wrong or right, it just means you can't discuss things with him like you could with "normal" forum members. :p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=Lt_6AgjIFXE
Of course he always has the option to prove me wrong, sometime people change.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Timber,
I agree with dieselpower's post. It is difficult ( not impossible) to maintain good water quality if you have too many fish. Getting a test kit that includes ammonia and rehoming some of your fish is a good start.

I too am new to this forum, not new to ponding.....we can all learn from each other.......sometimes it takes a thick skin:) Kim

Ask a Question