Why are my fish dying?

Reaction score
just to be clear - when you guys say about cleaning the filter - do you mean the box next to the pond, or the device in the pond?

i pulled out the device in the pond today, and it was covered in muck

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
I would clean everything. If you use chlorinated tap water you might kill of all the benificial bacteria that process the ammonia etc so use dechlorinated water if possible.
I'm really sorry but thats total rubbish diesilplower get your facts right my friend it does nothing of the sort .
it wont kill off all the helpful bacteria just take off the top layer thats all and if you dont believe me my friend read this :-

http://www.koi4u.co.za/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&layout=blog&id=24&Itemid=191

The guy who wrote this is one of the Top dealers and members of the South African Koi Keepers society one Pieter Odendaal who I've know for quite a few years now and he really knows his stuff.
Better news today Guy at least the ammonia is going down a bit

Dave

Last edited:

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
just to be clear - when you guys say about cleaning the filter - do you mean the box next to the pond, or the device in the pond?

i pulled out the device in the pond today, and it was covered in muck
You should open your filter and clean the green thing inside it:
ECOPOWER-9000-ILLO.jpg

That green pad is a mechanical filter. It sieves out suspended material in your pond. To be honest, it looks real inadequate for a pond your size. If it's real beat up and holey, you can buy a replacement.

Not sure what the device in your pond is. It could be the pump or a prefilter. If it's a prefilter, you should clean it too.

If possible, take pics of the thing in the pond and open up your hozelock and post pics of that too. It would be like we're right there next to you!

Reaction score
Dave the more you post today the more I can see you don't know much for someone who has been keeping fish for 27 years blah blah blah. It is very common for people who clean their filters with chlorinated tap water to experience noticeable bumps in their cycle. The article you linked to even says chemicals can be used to kill off these bacteria. You might want to limit the posting while on the pain killers man. Seriously.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Dave the more you post today the more I can see you don't know much for someone who has been keeping fish for 27 years blah blah blah. It is very common for people who clean their filters with chlorinated tap water to experience noticeable bumps in their cycle. The article you linked to even says chemicals can be used to kill off these bacteria. You might want to limit the posting while on the pain killers man. Seriously.
I repeat read the link I have posted and you will find your wrong on that my friend maybe you may just learn somthing useful here :)
You know it really annoys me when people doubt the words of others who know better than you, I''m not the expert here my good friend Pieter is and if you want to upset me keep on about the fact I have to take pain killers and that in your view it either clouds my judgement or you doubt my knowledge fine if you wish to be petty keep it up I stand by my knowledge I also take on board what my betters have to say about the subject of bacteria which has been proven to even survive the vacuum of space, boiling water,frozen wastes etc, now stop being a petulant child and appologise

Dave

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I used tap water to clean my filter pads, I didn't see the difference in ammonia after I did that. But even take the old pads out and change to new one, I didn't see the difference too so I think the beneficial bacteria is everywhere and taking some out shouldn't make much of the difference unless the pond is overstock and need everything it got to get that ammonia convert. But this is my experience. every pond is different though.

Just FYI that I use tap water to clean everything in the filter twice already, not noticeable change in anything.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Getting out the decaying fish is good news. I love your big plant, but agree it needs "trimming". I personally like plants, they provide shade, are pretty and "filter" the water.....but yours had become too large for the space.

If you have a net, you could try netting out solids / debris, from the bottom of the pond. I personally use tap water to clean my filters, as my pond is established and I'm not worried about not having enough "good bacteria".

I think you're headed on the right path. Increased aeration would be beneficial too:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
I'm sorry and what were they judging by the number of likes I recieved yesterday and today I doubt that very much so dont doubt me when I make a post my friend because I stand by them all are you going to stand by your outburst ?
If so we'll take this up with Becky which means one of us has to report this

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Read the title of the article Desilplower "Myths, Mysteries and Fallacies".

He states that "treatments will kill off any free floating bacteria", "not the bacteria that is thoroughly embeded in your filters", it kills off the surface layers only the embeded bacteria stays put to recolonize "I'm sorry but even the novice knows that treatments will do that to free floating bacteria in your pond
Get your facts right please

Dave

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
You should open your filter and clean the green thing inside it:
ECOPOWER-9000-ILLO.jpg

That green pad is a mechanical filter. It sieves out suspended material in your pond. To be honest, it looks real inadequate for a pond your size. If it's real beat up and holey, you can buy a replacement.

Not sure what the device in your pond is. It could be the pump or a prefilter. If it's a prefilter, you should clean it too.

If possible, take pics of the thing in the pond and open up your hozelock and post pics of that too. It would be like we're right there next to you!

Good reply John at least he'll understand what we are talking about and set about cleaning things out between us all we should get Guy back on track pretty soon

Dave

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
My suggestion: your arguing isn't helping the OP, and is sorta muddying up the issues. Good thing that Guy appears to be ignoring the arguments and is able to pick out the important parts, which actually deal with taking care of his situation.

And, yes, I know I'm not a mod, but I sure feel like a MOM right now......

Can you guys just start another thread to continue this? And please, having differing opinions is perfectly OK -- but making personal hits is NOT OK!

Ask a Question